Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Double D Challenge: Patterned Paper


Hello friends!  It's all about patterned paper at Double D today.  Darlene is asking us to dip into our designer paper collection, however vast or limited it is, and feature it in our projects.  I've mentioned a few times that I have a Vast Hoard, so this is a delightful challenge for me.

Here's the inspiration board and a pretty paper pad for a random prize winner.


  


The papers I focused on are perhaps not the most gorgeous in my collection, but they're fun and I've had them for many years.  There was a time I would browse the all the wonderful shelves of 12 x 12 papers in our local papercrafts shop and choose 2 or 3 sheets that coordinated.  I can hardly begin to tell you how enjoyable that process was for me.  Sadly, the shop has been closed for a few years (sniff sniff, boo hoo).  Way back in 2016  I cut all the not-yet-used 12 x 12 coordinating patterned papers into 6 x 6 sheets and made charming and fun, easy to store, much more likely to be used collections of them.  On the rare occasion that a collection gets down to the last few sheets I like to make layouts on card bases and set them aside for future use.  That's what I did with these papers, and then the challenge came along so I turned two of them into cards.

I chose to work with my beloved Inky Antics dogs -- also many years in my collection.  I could have left the branch off the first card, but what's done is done.



For the second card I cut strips of plaid and wove them together.  Our 6 month old Golden Retriever, Sophie, sent this card to her best friend, Tommy, a mini-Schnauzer exactly the same age.  On Valentine's Day they got together and had an exceptionally good time, though Tommy did most of the yapping.



Pictured below are the two remaining cards-in-waiting.  I have other collections I've been working on as well.  There are simply too many things I enjoy playing with in my room.



My Double D teamies have done some pretty fabulous things with their patterned papers.  Have a look and then show us yours.

Happy crafting!


Stamps:  Inky Antics Delightful Dogs #3 plus a sentiment from Inky Antics Puppy & Kitty Love on the second card  Paper:  Neenah Classic Crest Super Smooth Solar White 80 & 110 lb, designer paper from stash  Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, SU Brocade Blue, Old Olive, and Baroque Burgundy for inking die cuts  Coloring:  Copics and ink blending  Other:  Poppystamps Freida Leaf, Freida Curve, and Whittle Birds, small flower punch, white gems, Scotch brand foam mounting tape

23 comments:

Donna Phelan said...

Adorable. I love that your dog sent mail lol The papers are beautiful and I love each design! I think the branch and leaves tie in nicely with the image. Loving the happy and sunshiny yellow print! And I love how you have some cards (almost) ready to go--don't think I could be that clever and creative lol

Birgit said...

These are both just as cute as can be, Leslie! Those doggies are darling and I'm especially digging the sentiment on the second card. So funny!! You're so organized, to have all these card bases made up ahead of time and ready to use. I should take lessons from you on organizing and using my patterned papers. I hang my head in shame. ;0)

Barbara said...

I not only get pleasure from looking at your creations, but reading about how much joy this craft gives you. You really are inspiring. By just putting a stamped creature on these papers, you made an exceptional card. I just love them.

Barbara said...

I like the branch too!

Diane said...

I had a big smile on my face when I saw your card in our line-up of what was coming up, then I saw the second card on your post and my smile got even bigger! What a fabulous idea to have these card fronts all ready to go, I need to think about doing the same! You know anything with a critter on it sits well in my heart and these couldn't be any cuter!! I'm glad Soph got to have a friend get together for Valentine's Day, that too made me smile!!

Darlene said...

OH MY STARS ... these are toooooooooo cute! Love the doggies and your designs are fabulous and definitely brought an instant smile! YOU GO GIRL!!!

crafty-stamper said...

All beautiful cards and P.papers,love the paper weaving and cute images.
Carol x

Marcia Hill said...

I just commented on Birgit's blog and told her that sadly I couldn't join in this challenge because I don't have any dsp...bahahahahahahahaha!!!! This challenge has my name written all over it, so now I just need to start digging some of it out! I sure do like your idea of making card bases with the dsp so that you're ready to go when you do need to make a card...just might have to try that! Both of your cards are absolutely ADORABLE Leslie, although I'm loving the 2nd one a bit more because of the weaving you did with the plaid strips...how fun! And both of the dogs are just too CUTE and have totally stolen my heart! Sweet, sweet cards my friend and wonderful use of your dsp!! Hugs. :0)

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

These cards are so adorable! The dogs are so cute and love the sentiments. Definitely made me smile! So cute that Sophie sent a card to her friend. I'm so glad you are enjoying her.

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, I would have reached for this paper, too! Such a gorgeous shade of chartreuse and that blue is one I can easily love! Almost as much as your pup seems to - such a smile maker he is!
Tommy must have loved Sophie's card and I adore that woven plaid. What a fabulous way to 'pre-create' your card bases!
=]

Judy Woodland said...

Oh my gosh, I don't think a person could make a bad card with those adorable images. They are just the cutest things ever! I love all your designs, your patterned paper choices are spot on. I am just smiling, these cards are FABULOUS!!!!! I think it's a toss up as to whose hoard is bigger than whose, my dear. :-)

Vicki said...

Oh, these cards are so adorable! I love the first dog image on the first one. I was going to ask if it was Sophie and I see that she is the sender. Love the happy yellow and bluebird in the tree. The second one is cute too with the butterfly on the pups nose. Dog mail...such a sweet idea.

Bonnie said...

You mix and match decorative papers so well, Leslie! I'm envious! Both of these layouts are perfect examples of your talent with papers and the pups are adorable and beautifully colored! Who could help but smile at these!

Lisa Elton said...

Your paper and pup choices are terrific, Leslie! I'll be that little mini Timmy enjoyed his card. How clever are you to create base for the ready! I might just have to steal that idea!

Cat Craig said...

Those pups are so very adorable. They make me smile. How brilliant to weave the plaid strips...what great effect. Love these cards and the idea of making bases waiting for finishing. Sometimes I get hung up on the base for my image. This plan could help.

Glenda said...

Lovely cards my friend. Such happy smiles they bring with them! I definitely get distracted when here in my room!

Conniecrafter said...

I have done the same thing with a couple of my papers but have only used one of them so far, the other even though it isn't Christmas papers has that feel to me so I have saved it for that but haven't used it yet. These cards are absolutely the sweetest! I love the dogs and how you have colored them, I love the branches in each one, the weave on the second one is so cool, perfection!

Christine Alexander said...

Two totally adorable cards and I love the use of the DP. I have stacks that I never use. It's time to pull it out :)

Pauline said...

Both cards are absolutely adorable Leslie. Great idea on making bases for your cards. Love the doggies, so sweet. Sentiments are perfect. The die cut branches are a nice addition to your cards, as is the little bird! Sweet cards Leslie, thank you for sharing!

Margaret said...

O M G! What an adorable image. So cute. Love both of your cards. I love that you added that branch on the first card. It adds so much depth to the image. So sweet that Sophie has a friend to play with.

Vicky Hayes said...

Making layouts with coordinating papers and letting them wait for the right moment is such a brilliant idea Leslie! I feel your pain about the physical stores where we used to spend hours browsing - sadly they seem to belong to another era. Loving the two cards you made. The dogs are very cute and I love the russet branch in the first with that adorable bird, and the clever woven plaid strips in the second with those fabulous blue flowers. I love that Sophie has a bestie to romp about with and it sounds as if she's been having lots of long hikes from your message to me. Do post photos of her if you have time - my heart is always uplifted by the sight of a golden having fun! Vicky x

Pam Sparks said...

Awesome Lelise! I love them all!

Ida said...

What fun cards. I like them both and it's a great way to use patterned paper. That 2nd card I like how you did a lattice detail with the paper.