Wednesday, August 3, 2016

A DIFFERENT SORT OF WATERCOLORING

When I made the two cards I'm sharing today I was just playing around with an idea.  I hardly ever take the time to experiment as I'm so "middle of the road" with my stamping, it seems.  I like the idea of these for backgrounds, but just this once I didn't want to cover them up.
 
The first card has a dream-like quality with the way the images emerge from the background.  I think the quote could be used for a birthday card.
 
 
 
 
It's ultra-simple:
  • I stamped semi-solid images on 140 lb hot press watercolor paper and brushed over them with water.
  • Let dry, then brushed water on the in-between spaces and dabbed an inky brush onto the wet paper (I used Stampin' Up! inks).
  • Flicked on some splatters from my paint brush.
  • Let dry again, then stamped the sentiment.
On the first image I added just a touch more ink to the largest bird.  Very little ink, really.
 
There's more color on the second card.
 
 
 
 
See how spotty the bird looks?  For that particular stamp I used a marker to color directly onto the stamp, and the ink separated into little pools as it will tend to do on certain clear stamps.  I stamped it, anyway, and brushed with water.  It's different and interesting and it spawns more ideas.
 
The image stamps are three different Inkadinkado sets, and the sentiments are from a favorite old Inque Boutique set.  I'll list everything below.
 
Linking to one of the challenges I follow:  Cards In Envy -- Wings.  Anything with wings.  Card must be flat enough to fit in an envelope.
 
I'll be back soon.  Have a glorious day!
 
 
Stamps:  Inkadinkado Birds Galore, Patterned Birds & Bugs, Foliage Trails, Inque Boutique Card Wishes  Paper:  140 lb hot press watercolor, Bazzill textured white  Ink:  SU! Bashful Blue, Barely Banana, Certainly Celery, Old Olive, Pretty in Pink, Tombow teal marker, Palette Noir for sentiments  Accessories:  Scotch brand foam mounting tape

25 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Drop dead gorgeous!!! Oh my I love these in particular the first dreamy card ... You are one talented lady!!

Joan B said...

love these SO MUCH!! they just evoke a soft dreamy feeling that makes me happy.

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I think its fun to experiment with the inks - one never knows what will turn up! I love how these cards turned out especially the bird in the second card. Have a great day!

Sherry Hickey said...

Hi Leslie! I love your card and must try your technique! Your card has an ethereal (an adjective I don't use often) quality and it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it at our Cards In Envy "Wings" challenge!

Yogi said...

lovely. nice backgrounds. keep playing BIG GRIN. Have a great day

Sandy Trefger said...

Beautiful cards and those backgrounds are fabulous. Don't cover them up! And keep playing. It's how we all learn. :) Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy.

Darlene said...

WOW good for you ... these are both beautiful! Thanks for sharing all the tips/tricks. Have a great day! (I'm sitting across from Diane at this exact moment laughing at her stories.)

pam said...

Gorgeous designs Leslie, love your backgrounds especially the first card, love the soft dreamy colours and faint birds, must start and play one day.
Pam x

Sherri said...

These are both just drop dead gorgeous! I wouldn't have thought of doing this technique & I'm so glad you did! I love the softness of both of these cards! They both radiate such a peacefullness! WOW!!

Pauline said...

Both cards are gorgeous ! I love the outcome of this technique. So soft and airy. I just tried this technique last night as well. I saw it done over on PTI - it is so cool - no 2 will every be the same! Love the images you used in both. So, so pretty Leslie. They both make me smile. Great sentiments a well.

Elaine M said...

Oh My Goodness - how fantastic. Going to try my hand at this. Hugs to the pups!

Evelyn S. said...

These are terrific, Lesley! I am really in love with that top one...that soft blue and yellow! Both are so artistic.

Evelyn S. said...

These are terrific, Lesley! I am really in love with that top one...that soft blue and yellow! Both are so artistic.

nancy littrell said...

OMG Leslie...your 1st Dreamy card has me Swooning my friend! TFS your technique. I love your 2nd card too. Beautiful background for your watercolored images. Cool the way your bird turned out. TFS. Hugs, Nancy

Alexandra said...

Hi Leslie, I love this technique, great fun and ideal for quick cards. Your cards are lovely with the gorgeous loose watercolour backgrounds, then simply stamped. Beautiful! Alexandra x

Alexandra said...

Hi Leslie, I love this technique, great fun and ideal for quick cards. Your cards are lovely with the gorgeous loose watercolour backgrounds, then simply stamped. Beautiful! Alexandra x

Lynette said...

These are both so beautiful, Leslie - I'm glad you decided to not cover them up! Your artistic abilities are so amazing.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my these are lovely, I like the softness of the first one but I REALLY LOVE the way the second one turned out, love all the speckles in it all, pretty colors and those sentiments are just great too!!

Maureen Chandler said...

These cards are so pretty! I love making backgrounds and then use them in different ways and if I don't like it at all, I die cut it! Thanks for sharing your talent!

Stacy Morgan said...

I am glad you tried this Leslie they are beautiful. Very subtle water coloring effect and very beautiful.

Diane said...

Beautiful and yes the first one has a very dreamy effect, an interesting way to 'water color'...both are gorgeous!

Donna Ellis said...

both watercolor creations are GORGEOUS, Leslie! I especially like the style of the water color in your first card with that sentiment. But both are beautiful, and delicate, and full of life! Thank you for explaining how you created them! hugs, de

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

Subtle but stunning. Fabulous technique.

Colleen Dietrich said...

That first one is so ethereal, and both cards are beautiful, Leslie. :-) I like the technique you used.
By the way, this is my first time to your new blog, and it's so clean and inviting! I just signed up for the email updates.

Sybrina K said...

Leslie, These are so pretty, and the black sentiments pop against those pastel colors! Thanks so much for playing along with our Cards in Envy Wings Challenge. :)