Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Embossed Poinsettias for Peace on Earth Challenge

Hello again!  I'm back to play in the Peace on Earth Challenge today.  These two cards were so quick and easy I made them while dinner was cooking.  Of course, dinner was in the oven for an hour and a half, but never mind that.

The first card is all for the inspiration board -- very pastel and feminine.  I generally make at least one pink Christmas card a year, so this will be it.  Not my go-to yuletide colors, but the POE board is so pretty I couldn't resist.  It's a good time to pull out this Tim Holtz Poinsettia embossing folder which I bought post Christmas 2022 with good intentions for 2023.



After embossing I used make up brushes to apply Distress Oxide inks -- Saltwater Taffy, Shabby Shutters, Wild Honey -- leaving a lot of white space to keep it pastel.

First time use of the Tim Holtz Holiday Words dies, too.  Lots of words in the set you can mix and match.  I cut the border strip and words from pink cardstock and brushed over them with Wink of Stella for a gentle shimmer.




Each to their own, but the next card is actually my favorite.  I smeared white pigment ink, pad to paper, on grocer's kraft.  The black is glossy cardstock.  The designer paper border is a glossy print on kraft by DCWV.  Something I've had for a long time.  It's called Foiled Elegance.



Two more Christmas cards in the box.  The total is now 10.  I need to do better.  How about you?

Scroll down to see the pretty Peace on Earth inspiration board that inspired me.  There's even more inspiration in the team cards.  Everything from cute to gorgeous.


 


A summary of ingredients is below my signature.

This was fun!  I'm looking at the next challenge on my to-do list.  Hmmm... what shall it be?  Maybe no challenge at all.  See you again very soon!


Tim Holz Poinsettia 3D embossing folder and Holiday Words: Script
Paper:  Neenah Classic Crest Super Smooth Solar White, CTMH Shell Pink, grocer's kraft, glossy black, DCWV Foiled Elegance designer paper  Ink:  Distress Oxide Saltwater Taffy, Shabby Shutters, Wild Honey, SU White pigment ink  Other:  Wink of Stella 


24 comments:

HilaryJane said...

That is such a nice embossing folder and I love it in the pinks. So what if they are not traditional colours. It doesn't matter. I think I like the kraft one best too. The white and black look so good along with the kraft. You are doing better than me with 10 cards already xx

Cindy Beach said...

Oh boy, I love being first to comment on these pretty Christmas cards! I love the soft pastels and the wink of stella on the die cuts on the first lovely card. But like you, the second is my favorite! Such a warm glow and distressed look - oh those poinsettias are gorgeous! The decorative black strip adds the perfect elegance.

Yogi said...

2 wonderful Xmas cards. Really love the 2nd one. Have a great day

Pauline said...

Leslie, these are both so beautiful. I am with you I think the 2nd card with brown craft is my favourite, has a more vintage feel to it, and the added black strip and gold decorative just completes your card. The colours in your first card is lovely as well, the saltwater taffy ink was a good choice based on the inspiration board. Thank you for sharing today, good for you for adding a few more into your Christmas box. Kitchen reno's are going well, no time for birding or cards this week, I'm hoping maybe on the weekend. Have a wonderful day!

I Card Everyone said...

Pink happens to be one of my favorite Christmas colors, Leslie - I'm sure it is all about the pretty pale pink ceramic Christmas tree my mom made when I was little - complete with a music box and lights!
I am a big fan of that embossing folder - love your pink painted Poinsettias - but my neutral loving heart adores your kraft one even more!
Two would be the number I've made this year - I better get with the program!
=]

Marcia Hill said...

I have that TH Poinsettia folder too and rarely think to use it Leslie, but you've made it SHINE with both! The light pink touches on the 1st card are so pretty and the white on kraft is STUNNING! And YAY for growing your Christmas card stash!! Mine is growing, but slowly also...need to work on that!! Hugs. :0)

crafty-stamper said...

Both beautiful cards,love the deep embossing and both the pastel and nuetral colourways.
Carol x

Conniecrafter said...

They are both lovely, I am enjoying pink more for Christmas here lately. But I will have to say my vintage lover side of me just really loves the second card even more, the white brushed on gives it a wonderful look and finishing it off with the glossy and foiled strips looks great!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

What a great embossing folder that made these lovely cards. I love both of them but am partial to the pink one! These prove that you don't have to use red/green for Xmas. Love how the wink of stella shows off the sentiment. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Margaret said...

wow! Both cards are so gorgeous. I love the poinsettia die. I think the 2nd card is just more striking with a bigger contrast between the white and kraft. I like using non-traditional colors for Christmas. I just found a new paper pad at an out-of-the way resale shop along with two stampendous sentiment stamp sets which were unused all for less than $4. Good for you getting Christmas cards done. I'm working on mine.

Cat Craig said...

Fab poinsettias, love the added inking to bring the embossed images to life. I have a bout 25 cards so far. Cutting back some this year. Have half done.

CaroleAnn said...

Leslie, okay both cards are just beautiful but I am with you - I absolutely love that last one you did!!!! Perfection. How am I doing on my Christmas cards?! Let me count them! Oops - they seem to have disappeared! LOL, You are amazing and so organized! Love it!

Christine Alexander said...

two beautiful cards with one of my favourite EF. I especially love the inked EF card, so pretty in the two tone ♥

Barbara said...

Two different looking cards from the same embossing folder, Wow! Now you have 10 cards done and I have none. I better get to it. I like this quick idea.

Diane said...

Both cards are beautiful, loving the softness of the pink one and the vintage colors of the second equally as well, I think I have this EB folder too and you have show cased it well, always tons of inspiration here. Have a happy Mother's Day!! Thanks for joining us at Peace On Earth Too!!

Bonnie said...

You nailed this mood board with the first poinsettia card, Leslie! Pink isn't my go to Christmas color either but I usually have at least one to send. I love how you did the second card! Very classy!

Loll said...

Two beautiful cards using the pretty poinsettia embossing folder. You have shown that depending on your mediums and colours, the same embossing folder looks totally different. Love it! xx

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Wow this is so pretty. Thank you for sharing with us over at Peace on Earth this month and hope to see you in future challenges. Elaine DT xxx

TK said...

Beautiful poinsettia card, I love the inking on the flowers. The second is also my favorite, I think it's the kraft on white with the bold, beautiful borders you've added.

nancy littrell said...

Your photos of each of your 3D dry embossed Poinsettia Christmas cards are so beautiful and they are even more beautiful in real life:-) I am looking forward to playing with my folder after being so inspired by your beauties. I could not decide which was my favorite. So much fun having a playtime together, Leslie:-)

Can you believe our last 2 hot days..75 yesterday and 89 degrees today...Now comes all the watering! Love and Hugs...Nancy

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning cards with those stunning colours, what a great embossing folder x

Jean S said...

This is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Lynette said...

These are both amazing, Leslie. I agree - I think the second is my favorite. What a great idea to use white pigment ink on colored cardstock embossing!

Ida said...

Such a lovely duo of cards. I'm really fond of the softness of the first card. The send has an elegant feel to it.