Friday, October 1, 2021

CAS Mix Up, Mixed Media - Botanical Prints

Hello, and welcome to our October CAS Mix Up Challenge!  Bonnie is our host this month and she has chosen something very fun for all of us to try:  Botanical Prints.  We are to incorporate real nature in our cards -- leaves, flowers, ferns, whatever.  There are a number of video links on the Mix Up blog, or maybe you have some ideas of your own.  It's a mixed media challenge this month, so be sure to include stamping and at least one other mixed media element.  There is a sample list on the sidebar of the challenge blog.




I couldn't wait to get started!  I tried my hand first at pressed flowers with hot pink and bright orange Impatiens and blue Lobelia.  I also used a heart-shaped leaf from a violet plant, but it didn't transfer much color.  Maybe too late in the season for it.  So where is all that hot pink and orange?  Somehow it came out as pastel lavender and pale plum/pink, but that's okay, too.

My garden pickings made a nice background for this Penny Black Peaceful Time bird and lattice border.  Mixed media elements in addition to the stamping include wet embossing (the bird), die cutting, coloring, and, of course, the pressed flower background.




The pressed flower technique I used is easy peasy.  Place flowers or leaves between two sheets of watercolor paper, sandwich between cutting plates, and run through your die cutting machine.  That's an abbreviated version, but it really was simple.  Do watch a video.  I ended up with two good background pieces, front and back of the flowers.  You really couldn't tell the difference.  While I was at it I made two more cards for different purposes.  Supplies are listed below my signature.



The CAS Mix Up team and our lovely guest designer, Izzy, will blow your minds with their creations for this challenge.  Beautiful stuff!  I hope you'll give it a try, too.  See you again soon!



Bird Card:  Stamps:  Penny Black Peaceful Time, SU Itty Bitty Backgrounds (splatters, retired), Paper:  Fabriano Artistico ExtraWhite 140 lb hot press watercolor, Neenah Classic Crest Super Smooth Solar White 80 & 110 lb  Ink:  Versamark, SU Bashful Blue, Memento Tuxedo Black  Coloring:  Tombow markers and homemade blender  Other:  Black embossing powder, Spellbinders retired Lattice Border, dimensionals to pop up bird

Hello Card:  Stamps:  Hero Arts sentiment, SU Itty Bitty Backgrounds (retired) Ink:  SU Bashful Blue & Lovely Lilac  Other:  Poppystamps Petal Ribbon die, pearls

Anniversary Card:  Stamps:  SU Stippled Blossoms, Power Poppy Love sentiment  Ink:  SU Pale Plum/Perfect plum, Barely Banana/Summer Sun, Wild Wasabi/Garden Green  Other:  Lace, ric rac, pearls, Poppystamps Stitched Main Street Tags die, scrap designer paper


24 comments:

HilaryJane said...

these are so pretty, such lovely soft colours, that technique makes a perfect background. I am going to have to try it. I wonder if I still have some flowers in my garden? I am sure I can find something, if it stops raining long enough to look! xx

crafty-stamper said...

All beautiful cards and love the delicate backgrounds you achieved.I did use this technique a couple of years ago and got a good result but never did it again and at the moment dont think there are any flowers left after all the rain and wind but I have some ivy leaves drying out
Carol x

Pat said...

Your flower pressings have worked beautifully on all the cards Leslie and your pretty bird goes perfectly over the die cut layer with your prints displayed at the top, and then your die cut flowers across the second, and the third with much more layering with the pretty added dp, lace and die cut and wonderfully coloured flowers. x

Yogi said...

Interesting. I don't think I've ever done that technique. I still have a fewflowers in the garden... we'll seehow they turn out. Pretty cards. Have a great day

nancy littrell said...

Ahhh..thank you, Leslie for sharing all 3 of your botanical prints cards:-) I agree, Bonnie's Challenge is Awesome!!! I Love how your pressed flowers turned out and that you were able to create 3 cards from your one day of playing:-) I love how your softly colored pressed flowers for your 1st card and die cut trellis were the perfect background for your beautifully stamped and colored bird on a branch image. Fun Itty Bitty splatters too. TFS your two beautiful cards with the leftover pressed flowers too. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Loll said...

Love the soft colours of your pressed flowers, Leslie. So pretty and feminine! The lattice looks so perfect with the flowery panel and the bird is beautifully coloured. And how great that you were able to make two more gorgeous cards with leftover prints. I did great choosing what to use from your very large, beautiful garden. xx

Diane said...

Wow, these are beautifully unique and so creatively done! Such pretty soft colors for the background with the smooshing of the flowers, what a fun technique!!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh my... Leslie you rocked this and those cards are absolutely gorgeous!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow! Your cards are all amazing and oh so pretty! I did not have any success with flowers, they came out a goey brown!

Chrissie said...

Well, the pastel shades which emerged from your gatherings look so pretty, a perfect backdrop for your fabulous bird!
Chrissie x

Bonnie said...

I love your pastel shades, Leslie! I haven't had the best results with flowers but this makes me want to try with my vincas. Your beautifully colored bird reminds me how much I love this stamp and die! Three awesome cards, my friend!

Cat Craig said...

I love that the bold colors became pastels. Each card is so lovely and unique.

Conniecrafter said...

You did a beautiful job with your impressions of the flowers, yes the colors always seem to come out lighter than expected, but I like the softness of these. That bird is just gorgeous, I love how you colored him up.
Your other to cards are just gorgeous, I love your flowers that go so pretty with your backgrounds and that lace with the ric rac is so a lovely accent. Your tag with the flower is sweet too. Beautiful creations!

conil said...

What a delightful visit I've had to your blog today. Obviously, you have mastered the floral pressing technique. Your results are absolutely beautiful, I am so impressed. The addition of that sweet feathered friend with that lattice panel is such a wonderful addition to those pretty pressed posies. Your second and third cards are equally as lovely.

Susan Joyce said...

Beautiful cards Leslie, I tried using flowers but didn't get such perfect results as you did such lovely cards.

Mac Mable said...

What a delicate and pretty effect with the technique and who knew hot and bright colours would create the most beautiful colours? All three cards are so unique, so creative and so very beautiful and extra loving the first one but of course love them all! x.

Viv said...

I so enjoyed seeing these cards Leslie - the lovely colours from your flowers and the pretty designs cheered me up a lot. Gorgeous creations! I haven't tried flowers only leaves - added to the list to do when things here become a bit more settled. x

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Hello Leslie: WOW!! these cards are gorgeous, what a perfect impression of those little flowers you achieved on all of the panels, the colors transferred perfectly.
I just uploaded a card to the challenge and that's how I got to see yours, beautifully done!!
Thank you for sharing.
Stay healthy and safe.
XO
Maria.

Linda said...

Stunning results from those pressed flowers, the soft shades are so pretty and delicate. It actually looks like designer paper in the backgrounds ..... so beautiful! xx

Sue from Oregon said...

Another pretty-boy you have been crazy busy creating! ♣ Sue Kment

Izzy Scrap said...

WOW ! Beautiful bunch of cards with this technique. I really love the result of your pressed flowers with these gorgeous pastel shades and it makes such a delicate background for your lovely bird (and flowers !). We don't have any more flowers in our garden but I find that the result is even prettier than with leaves. Thanks so much for the beautiful inspiration and for having me guesting with you all for this challenge. x

Cindy Beach said...

What amazing results you got with this new to me technique. I learn so much by seeing how you try things and the looks you achieve. And it makes me happy to know you've been having fun playing! Beautiful cards, every one!

Christine Alexander said...

I love your results with the flowers, it's amazing so much colour comes out even thought they are delicate tones. I can't wait to play along now that I'm back from the UK ♥

Julia Aston said...

what gorgeous pressed floral backgrounds you created with your pretty flowers and lovely colors!