Sunday, January 22, 2023

Small and Simple

Hi again!  Here's a shock -- I have a clean and simple card today.  I know!  How did that happen?  Sometimes it just does, but never when I'm really trying.

The Penny Black Saturday Challenge and Darnell's NBUS Challenge prompted me to pull out the pretty Ebullient set and get to work with it.  This Penny Black set is a few years old, but new to me.  It seems like yesterday it was released.  I loved it a lot then and still do.



I stamped on Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140 lb hot press watercolor paper and colored with Tombow markers, blending dark/lighter/lightest.  Similar to coloring with Copics, but way easier (for me) and the effect is watercolor-ish.  I used my homemade blender only in a few spots.  The flowers are popped up on the card, but the leaves are glued flat.  The card is only 4 1/4" square.  I've taken to this size now and then in order to utilize the cardstock left over from cutting a midi-slimline (3 3/4 x 6 3/4).  



It was the Can You Handle the Pressure challenge that prompted me to use my old Swiss Dots embossing folder to add extra interest to the card.  I scored to delineate a blank space for the sentiment and embossed above and below that.

A short supply list is below my signature.

I'll leave you with the challenge links and a big thanks for stopping by.  Have a great day!


Penny Black Saturday Challenge -- Anything goes or something new.  Flowers from the Ebullient set are new to me.
Can You Handle the Pressure -- Anything goes with an embossing folder, or a twist of dots.  I used the Swiss Dot embossing folder.
NBUS Challenge #46 -- Never before used schtuff.  First time out of the package for the Penny Black Ebullient stamp.

  




Stamps:  Penny Black Ebullient, Penny Black Carefree Wishes  Paper:  Fabriano Artistico extra white 140 lb hot press watercolor, Neenah Classic Crest Super Smooth Solar White 110 lb  Ink:  Palette Noir  Coloring:  Tombow markers with minimal use of the blender pen  Other:  Honey Bee gems, Cuttlebug Swiss Dot embossing folder

28 comments:

Hannelie said...

Oh Leslie this is so lovely!
Gorgeous!

Marcia Hill said...

CAS and perfection Leslie...soooooo pretty! I love the water color look you achieve with your tombows...just BEAUTIFUL!! Hugs. :0)

crafty-stamper said...

Perfect CAS card and love the beautifully watercoloured flowers
Carol x
This would be perfect for our "No designer paper" challenge at Pearly Sparkles
Carol DT x

Yogi said...

gorgeous. I'd call it bold and beautiful as well. Have a great day

Di said...

Hi Leslie! Finally I have some time to browse my favourite bloggers - this is just stunning! So beautiful - CAS and also so striking! Fabulous colouring as well as perfect all round!

Hugs

Di xx

Liz said...

Absolutely stunning Leslie, I love the striking design. xx

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

What a nice CAS you made. I love using my swiss dot embossing folder. Love Penny Black stamps and especially this sentiment! Watching the snow change to rain but lots more expected later this week! Two more months to go!!

HilaryJane said...

This is so stylish and beautiful. Just perfectly CAS, well done. I love it xx

Glenda said...

Absolutely stunning my friend! I love the pretty flower and as always, your coloring is perfect! It's windy and cold here today...feels like snow and we have had some snow showers! Well it is January after all! Have a great week!

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, I'm quite sure that this is the very first embossing folder I ever purchased - Cuttlebug. check. From JoAnn's!
It makes a gorgeous CAS backdrop for your lovely florals - and your coloring is exemplary! A beautiful CAS card!
=]

Bonnie said...

WOW! I wish I could get such good results with Tombow markers! Your flowers are GORGEOUS! I love how they just pop off all those white dots!

Lynette said...

This is so simply beautiful, Leslie!! I love the simplicity, and I truly love your coloring. What an awesome card.

Loll said...

So very beautiful, Leslie! Your colouring of the flowers is outstanding, my friend. Love the all white background with the dots. Sweet! xx

Diane said...

A gorgeous card and one of my all time favorite EB folders!! Lovely design too, the flowers are stunning as always!! Love the size of this too!! Thanks for joining us at Can You handle The Pressure!!

Cat Craig said...

YOu need to not think about it more often, this is one beautiful card, Leslie.

Margaret said...

Such a beautiful card. Your coloring is just awesome and I love how you put that border in for the sentiment. Great card.

Donna Ellis said...

How come my CAS never turn out as elegant as yours? LOL probably because I keep making mistakes on mine that need to be covered up with other "stuff". It's a beautiful creation, and I can see why you love that set! The customized dry embossing looks fantastic with this beauty! Your watercoloring looks amazing, as always. I need to dig out my Tombows! Aren't they the greatest? I started out stamping with them in the 1980s, and only in the last 5 years had to replace the set. Love it, Leslie!
xx

Evelyn S. said...

Of course, the red flowers are the main attraction...then I said to myself, "She fussy-cut them!" This is a relatively "simple" card for you with all your layers and colors....and it is a beauty. A real beauty, Leslie!

ChristineCreations said...

Gorgeous Leslie!

Cindy Beach said...

Oooh, the embossed dots and white space are so lovely and a wonderful complement to your beautiful flowers! Leslie, I'm giving the Tombows a try, but not really getting the hang of it. This takes my breath away!

Barbara said...

Tombow or Copic markers, your coloring is fantastic and amazing on this card. I am inspired by your talent and wish that I had time today to make a card. But maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

Joan Bardee said...

another beauty!!!

Judy Woodland said...

Such a pretty card, and so beautifully colored. I love that greeting, it's fabulou!! Lots of wonderful work here, and great take on the challenge. Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Can You Handle the Pressure, hope we see you back again soon!!
Judy~ CYHTP DT

Pauline said...

Love this CAS card! You do watercolouring so well. The swiss dot ef is one of my all time favourites, it works so well with many images. Love the idea of the scored lines to hold your sentiment within. Leslie you always inspire me in so many ways. I find it hard to do CAS cards, I always feel that it needs more, but it does not, as yours is a perfect example. Beautiful!

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful CAS card with such gorgeous flowers. BTW love that sentiment ♥

Erikine spominčice said...

Beautiful card.

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful! So crisp and clean and you know I LOVE swiss dots on anything. Just beautiful!

Lorraine said...

A beautiful cas card - so pretty
Thanks for joining this months PBSC
Lorraine x