Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Watercolor on Black

Hello friends!  I hope this finds you all happy and relaxed after Christmas.  I'm basking in the peace and calm that comes this last week of the year.  We had a minor wind storm that left the yard a mess of debris but this can be dealt with in due time.  We didn't even lose power.  As we watch the weather catastrophes on the news we're feeling very fortunate indeed.

I've been enjoying some time in my stamp room and am thinking I'd better get a card posted while I have a chance.  Today you can see I've been at my black watercolor paper again.  My new flower stamp from Woodware is called Floral Wonder, and it is wonder-full with all that open space in the flowers and leaves which make it so nice for watercoloring.  There are limits to what you can do with the blending of metallic inks, but I'm trying out some possibilities.



Working with metallics on black is an interesting experience.  I've used a higher concentration of paint for good coverage, and in this case I started at the petal and leaf tips and brushed inward, leaving black showing at the base.  At the tips of the petals I added a hint of darker purple, the effect of which is much more apparent as you move the card in your hand.  Just learning and playing.  My paints are the old-timey Twinkling H2O's.  There are some very pretty and fine quality pearlescent paints on the market which I may try someday.

The gold embossing is my usual Ranger Princess Gold, but even that looks different on the black watercolor paper.  Is it just me?  When heat set it does not raise up all smooth and sleek as you would expect.  Rather, it lays more flush with a grainy texture.  It's not a bad thing.  Just a whole other look.  Note that I'm using black watercolor 140 lb cold press as opposed to mixed media cardstock.  I'm sure each paper enables a different result.



I added gold splatters and didn't even make much of a mess this time.  I've made a note to self to leave the fan brush alone when it comes to splatters. 🙄

So there you have it, my second experiment with metallic watercolors on black.  It intrigues me and I will try again.  Have a fantastic day!


Stamps:  Woodware Floral Wonder  Paper:  Stonehenge 140 lb cold press black watercolor, gold satin metallic, pink glitter cardstock  Ink:  Versamark  Coloring:  Watercolor with Twinkling H2O's  Other:  Ranger Princess Gold embossing powder, Cottage Cutz Hello Phrase

21 comments:

Conniecrafter said...

That is gorgeous, I still haven't got my black watercolor paper out to play with, I really need to do that, your beautiful creation has surely got me thinking I need to give it a try :). The colors are so pretty with the black. Nice you had a better experience with the splattering :)
I am also glad that you made it through the storm ok, I felt the same way about our last storm and the strong winds we have been dealing with, we have had a lot of stuff fly in our yard, I think half of what they pick up on trash day goes down the street and in our yards. But we haven't had all that snow and no traveling for us so haven't had to deal with that either.

Diane said...

A gorgeous result with the black water color paper and I love how you left the black showing in the center of the flowers, it really draws your eye to that! It turned out amazingly beautiful on the black, something I would be scared to try myself, and the gold splatters are the perfect finishing touch, another piece of art here! Happy New year!!

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS Leslie! I love how your colors pop against the black water color paper, and I think the grainy gold embossing looks wonderful...fits right in with the texture of the paper! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Glenda said...

Well you have done it again. I am now looking for instructions for this watercolor on black. It is quite beautiful and I am very interested! Lovely colors and the finished card is just lovely!

Margaret said...

So beautiful. I love every bit of it from the gold embossing to the painting of the petals and leaves. I need to get my paints out and play around a little bit. I love seeing all the different mixed media you use for your coloring. Glad you had a nice holiday. I left for California where it was 68* when it was 18* in H Town. Then came home to 78* so I missed most of the cold, freezing weather we had here over the holiday. Happy New Year. I hope 2023 is a blessed one for you and all your family.

Yogi said...

BEAUT-I-FUL. I haven't played with my Twinkles in quite a while. Should pull them out...
Have a safe and happy New Year's

Darlene said...

OH WOW this is just gorgeous my friend! LOVE your choice of color used on this black water color paper ... stunning! Yes we had bad roads for awhile over the Christmas weekend but nothing like they had out west or in Buffalo NY so we are VERY thankful for that. Christmas was a delight watching 3 year old Charlie being overwhelmed with new toys to play with ... OMG so much fun! Thanks for always inspiring me with your creations and I hope to get my mojo back soon and start creating/sharing some projects.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

HilaryJane said...

It's beautiful, you have inspired me. I have some black watercolour paper that I haven't really used and I got some metallic paints for Christmas. So I will be sure to have a go soon. It is interesting how different paper can change the whole look of a cards. This is so vibrant and has such wonderful contrast. Brilliant splatters too, well done for not making a mess. I love the quiet of this time of year too. I am so glad that the awful weather hasn't affected you too much xx

pam said...

Absolutely Gorgeous card Leslie, never heard of Black water colour paper.
Love the beautiful color you have used,
Wishing you A Happy New Year 2023
Pam x

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, this another gorgeous example of how wonderful your metallic watercolors can be! WOW is that purple fabulous!
=]

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Leslie. I LOVE how you've blended the colours to create shades of colour on your flowers and leaves. So pretty with the metallic shine. Great work and look forward to you playing with your black w/c paper again soon. :) I haven't tried that ... just black mixed media and definitely, mixed media is SO different than working with w/c.

Glad your storms subsided without you loosing power. Same thing here. We feel fortunately too. xx

Bonnie said...

You got awesome results, Leslie! What beautiful colors and so pretty with the gold outline and splatters! A GORGEOUS card, my friend!

nancy littrell said...

Oh my, but I LOVE when you experiment with new techniques, Leslie:-) Your painting with H2O's metallic paints on Black Watercolor paper is...Stunning, my friend! I only have Strathmore Black Mixed Media paper. You are making me want to try using my neglected H2O's on the MM paper. I also LOVE how you kept the center of your flowers unpainted to give the contrast of black against your metallic paints...such a clever way to add depth and interest to your beautiful flowers. TFS and always inspiring me:-)

We ended up losing our power for 12 hours...to be expected up the river with all the forests surrounding us:-) I had just served dinner (easy baked potatoes) in our trailer when the lights came back on..so we had a nice quiet dinner in our trailer as the wind had calmed down:-)

Enjoy your quiet week of creating, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous watercolouring on black, such a great techniques and after seeing yours I'll be doing more in 2023 trying a little shading.

laurie said...

Love it! Those metallic inks are awesome on black. Happy New Year~

Evelyn S. said...

Those Twinks again! I think I've mentioned that I have at least 100 of them...and I haven't used any for more than a year, I'm sure. This card inspires me; I think I even have some of Tim's black watercolor paper. Your card is a "wowza" creation with all those vibrant colors. It's another of your beauties, for certain. Happy New Year, Leslie!

Ida said...

Oh wow that is stunning. - The colors are gorgeous and I bet this is super shimmer in real life.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful card and stunning design and colours. Love usint H2O's. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and an even more happy New Year 2023

crafty-stamper said...

Glad to hear you missed the worst of the storm.Stunning card love the effect of the embossing and metallics against the black -a stunning result.My first day up today as have been in bed since 23rd Dec with this horrible coughing bug-really nasty and still coughing but at least up and dressed .
Carol x

Lynette said...

This is so beautiful, Leslie!! I love the shimmer, for sure. I do have some metallic, shiny paints and I haven't even used them yet. I don't have any black watercolor paper, though. I love the splatters, too.

Pam Sparks said...

I love it! So beautifully dramatic with your design and coloring!