Sunday, August 21, 2022

Wild Horses

Hi friends!  Brace yourself for some wild color because I've been at my Laurel Burch stamps again.  They were sold by Stampendous, but I don't see them there now, so I'm wondering if they've been discontinued.  I see they're available on Amazon and elsewhere.  Typical of me to be clueless.  I'm just happy to have a few in my collection.

My Horse Friends are stamped in Versamark and embossed in gold.  I painted with Twinkling H2O's, using natural colors for the horses' bodies but going more creative for their manes.  I didn't want too much crazy color in the focal piece because the background is so wildly colorful.  The die cut "fantastic" seemed appropriate considering the fantastical nature of the artwork.



About that background...  I was in my Joseph's Coat phase but had an idea for something different.  I used a large sponge to apply a rainbow of inks to shimmery ivory cardstock.  Then I laid my stencil over top and used another large sponge to thoroughly apply black ink to the negative spaces.  It's a striking lot of color, but perfect for my Laurel Burch stamp.

The stencil is Whispering Grass by Pink Ink.

Inside is trimmed with a leftover piece, and the sentiment is gold embossed.  It's an oldie Wordsworth stamp and one of my all-time favorites.



The next card actually came first.  I brayered ink from an old SU spectrum pad onto Whisper White cardstock, then clear-embossed the horses.  I used a craft knife to cut the image from the center of the inky background and then rubbed black ink over just the horses image.  Matted the image and put it back in place.  It's more trouble than it would have been if I'd had a plan from the beginning.  Just goofing around.



I'm working with my not-yet-used Stampendous this week.  They're a favorite company with a variety of image styles and always reliable quality.  Just saying.  Some of my oldest and best loved stamps are from Stampendous.

As per usual I'll be sharing at Darnell's NBUS Challenge.  My Horse Friends stamp and Whispering Grass stencil are both being used for the first time.




See you again soon!



23 comments:

Cat Craig said...

These are not just cards, they are works of ART, Leslie. So beautiful.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful designs. Lovely result. x

crafty-stamper said...

WOW both stunning cards love the fabulous image,brilliant colouring and the first background is amazing
Carol x

Kate said...

This "My Horse Friends" stamp is lovely (and I will be on the look out for it) but what you've done with it is amazing! And the grass stencil!! Two absolutely gorgeous - and fantastical - creations!!!

Darnell said...

These two works of art really blew my socks off, Leslie! As I was reading along with your process, I thought to myself what a great art teacher you would be/have been! Not only are you immensely creative and imaginative, you describe the process so well! Two more for the wall of art in your home; I wouldn't want to part with them! Thank you for linking again at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Lynette said...

"Just fooling around" can be such great fun! I'm glad you had some time for fooling around. And the results are great. Both of your wild horse cards are fantastic, and great techniques on each. Have fun with your Stampendous stamps!

Barbara said...

Wow! These are both jaw dropping fantastic. I love your use do the gold on these horses. The wild manes with lots of color are over the top. The background only enhances the design! I am so impressed.

Conniecrafter said...

Looks like you had some fun play time with these cards, your right that background worked great with the way you colored the first horses, love the blend you got in the horses, that gold embossing with it is wonderful.
I really love the effect of the horses on the second card, I so like the blending of the background to go with the horses, I can't say I like one over the other they are equally great!

nancy littrell said...

Two Gorgeous "Works of Ar:t card designs, Leslie. I LOVE your STAMPendous stamped images and use of stencils, Magicals..Joseph's Coat technique and more....Wow!!!! I agree with Dolly...I would not want to give either beautiful card away...unless to friends that you see often!!!! TFS your beauties and your detailed descriptions, my friend. Love and hugs...Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

I love that image of the horses, it looks amazing in the Josephs coat and your first card with the twinkling H2o's is gorgeous ♥

I Card Everyone said...

That is such a cool stamp! Your second card that you made first is my favorite of the two, but the first one that you made second with that awesome black stenciling is incredibly gorgeous, as well! What a fun day of 'goofing around' you had, Leslie!
=]

Evelyn S. said...

I agree with identifying these as "works of art" Leslie! That second one blows my mind. (I'm certain I've told you that I'm a Laurel Burch fan, particularly her horses. I'm just NOT a cat person. ) You really created amazing cards here.

Margaret said...

Wow! This is spectacular. I love the image and the gorgeous coloring. Great job on the background. I would never have thought to do something like that and you really make it work for you.

Pauline said...

Wow, these are amazing Leslie! I agree, these are 'works of art'. Love how you created these, the Joseph background on the first is gorgeous. Your coverage with using H2O's is exceptional, your shading is so blended, everything is so smooth looking. Love the 'fantastic' sentiment as well!

Bonnie said...

Wow! Both of these are AWESOME, Leslie! Love the fantastic colors in the first one with the gorgeous and creative background! The second technique is stunning! Your 'goofing around' had wonderful results!

Jan said...

Sometimes, we're at our most creative when we're "fooling around." I'm glad you had time and inclination to do so! These are absolutely wonderful cards; the black and gold really set off those beautiful colors!

Diane said...

WOWZERS!! These are AMAZING!! Such beautiful art, you have showcased them beautifully! You are so talented!! I love when you do these stamps, so impressive!!

Loll said...

Two amazingly beautiful cards using that fabulous horse image, Leslie. I LOVE all the colour and the beautiful backgrounds that compliment your design. Great work, my friend. xx

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I just love all the color on your cards! You did a wonderful job just fooling around! Your H20's look great on your cards!

Liz said...

Two amazing cards, great designs and the colours are fabulous. Thank you for sharing your beautiful card over in the NBUS Challenge.
Liz - Guest Designer xx

HilaryJane said...

Wow, Leslie these are just on another level. they are amazing. I am so sorry to be so late visiting but I have been trying to catch up over the last few days. I had a few days out when my grandchildren visited and it is taking me a while to catch up/recover! These cards are such amazing inspiration. I want to get right on and have a go, but again I am running out of time xx

Cynthia M said...

Well, it looks like others have already taken the words out of my mouth. These are truly works of art. All your cards are beautiful, but for some reason these need to be framed. Genius!

Cindy Beach said...

I feel exactly as Cynthia and others have said. These are not cards, they are masterpieces! Back when you posted them instead of commenting, I looked up the stamps and you know what? I could never have even begun to envision anything as beautiful as your creations. Not even close. WOW!