Thursday, September 14, 2017

Pure Prairie Spirit Blue

Hi there and happy almost fall!  I thought I'd give a little nod to fall today by using some turned leaves on my card, but I'm not ready to give up summer yet so I have flowers and a butterfly, too.




Actually, this card happened when I was trying to do something else entirely.  It's the salvaged end result of a two day stamping fiasco.  I think I'm a little too distracted lately.  The stamp is Power Poppy's Pure Prairie Spirit, watercolored with Gansai Tambi paints on Arches 140 lb hot pressed watercolor paper.  The watercoloring was enjoyable, but I ran into trouble with the design.  I know!  It looks so simple, but what a struggle getting there!

Long story and I'll spare you most of the details.  Can you tell the card base is navy blue?  Not black.  I was thinking I never use navy blue, but when I went to my folder of navy blue paper I found it almost gone.  Hmmmm...  must have liked it more at some point.  The oval frame was stamped in a lighter blue with Stampin' Up!'s retired Linen background -- still a favorite.




I had one too many leaves on the card so I used Un-Do to remove one.  Un-Do is usually my friend, but it betrayed me this time and ripped the paper, and that's how the flags come to be there -- a cover up.  The leaves looked bland and needed some help.  Maybe a bow would be pretty, but you know me and lumpy cards... we just don't jive, hence the butterfly.  It was die cut from one of the pretty alcohol ink-on-acetate backgrounds my friend made for me.

We brought our new travel trailer home after a three hour orientation and it's sitting largely in the middle of the driveway right now.  I'll get some pictures to share one of these days.  We shopped for a few things for it, but it's not yet fully stocked.  Lots of fun just getting it ready for a trip.  Unfortunately we discovered a rotten corner on our house where rain water ran under the siding and now that has to be fixed.  We've been having quite a time of it for about a month and a half now when ordinarily everything is so hunky dory here.  I guess it was our turn.  It will all work out.

Enjoy your day!


Stamps:  Power Poppy Pure Prairie Spirit and Dynamic Duos: Foxglove & Ranunculus (sentiment), SU Linen background  Paper:  Arches 140 lb hot pressed watercolor, SU Night of Navy, Neenah 110 lb white, BasicGrey June Bug designer paper  Ink:  Palette Noir, SU Brocade Blue  Coloring:  Gansai Tambi watercolor paints  Accessories:  Memory Box Oval Master Frame, Taylored Expressions Mega Leaves, Impression Obsession Medium Butterflies, Spellbinders Nested Lacy Pennants

19 comments:

Cindy Beach said...

Your card is exquisite, and a glorious welcome to fall! The leaves, the coloring, the linen background and the sweet butterfly work so beautifully together.
Loved reading about your stamping fiasco and the fixes, which of course made me feel better about having those kind of days too. You have some good and some not so good reasons to be distracted. You're right, it will all work out, hopefully soon!

Diane said...

Stunning!!! A beautiful combo of end of summer and beginnings of fall....your day sounds like my week...lol...but it all came together so beautifully on your card, no one would ever have known it was a struggle for you..guess that is what keeps us on our toes, eh...a little struggle now and then..lol!! I can tell summer is gone her, we normally would be leaving today for our North home, (normally every other week and this would be the week), but we aren't we are stying put and I am glad (sor of) so mayb eI can play catch up...like get all the windows washed inside and out for winter..ugh! Have a great day and have fun filling that travel trailer!!

Yogi said...

beautiful. Love the leaf addition. Have a great day

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Your card is just beautiful! I love the linen background with the pretty flowers and the butterfly is a great touch on the leaves. Good luck with the RV.

Darlene said...

Just BEAUTIFUL and you covered your 'boo boo' quite nicely!! I think flowers & butterflies are good ANY TIME of year ... in the winter I find them to be very UPLIFTING so, I never apologize for sending a summery flower in the middle of a snowy month! LOL Of course, your coloring is always SO beautiful as proven in this fabulous creation! Being a home owner there are ALWAYS repair jobs but how exciting to have a home on wheels ... can't wait to see where all you go! What fun!

nancy littrell said...

It sounds like you are having one homeowners adventure after another, but by the time all is fixed you will be ready for a relaxing Winter and much more stamping and hopefully a few trips to the Oregon Coast with your new trailer:-) Our favorite place in the Winter..Cape Blanco!

Your card turned out beautifully Leslie. Love your pretty flowers, leaves, butterfly and flags. I still have the linen background. It gives such a nice texture. TFS my friend. Hugs.

pam said...

Love this beautiful floral card Leslie, beautiful colouring as always.
sounds like you are having rough time! if it`s not one thing it`s another..Know the feeling at the moment too.
Hugs Pam x

Sherri said...

I have never heard of "Un-do" so I will have to look into that! I really could have used it yesterday when I got carried away with pumpkins on a card. We all have those days when we change our mind the minute we discover how solidly something has attached itself! Your flags look like a planned item, not a cover-up! Everything about this card is gorgeous, including your beautiful watercoloring! Hope you get your problems fixed quickly so you can enjoy a relaxing trip in that new RV!

Ros Crawford said...

There you go again, bringing everything to life with your amazing colouring... This is so beautiful!

Glenda said...

This is stunning! Sometimes when we seem to struggle is when it will work out in the end!

Pam Sparks said...

It must be the week! I've been card making challenged too! Your card is gorgeous though! It pays to just work through it all! lol So glad you share your pretty creations!

Lisa Lara said...

Oh my, Leslie, your card is just so precious. I love your gorgeous coloring with your choice of colors. Love the leaves you added on the front and the textured background is the perfect touch.

laurie said...

How do you do this time after time? Your water coloring is always gorgeous! I like how you added the leaves at the side too. Beautiful! I hope you can get on a trip soon in that new camper...sounds like so much fun. It seems like there is always something going on to change one's plans doesn't it? Hope you get that corner of your house repaired soon!

Conniecrafter said...

Doesn't it feel like when it rains it pours, just one thing after another, I can only imagine you are a little off!
Well you wouldn't know at all that you had a problem with this card, it is just beautiful! I so love that linen background framing it, and you came up with a wonderful idea with the banners to cover up the rip in the paper, love the acetate butterfly too, love how you have mixed summer with a touch of fall!

Lynette said...

So, so pretty, Leslie! Sorry it was such a struggle, but one would never know that by looking at it! Bummer about the rot. I'm happy that you have your new travel trailer. Sure hope you get to head out with it soon.

wannabcre8tive said...

Your card is gorgeous. I love how you have colored your flowers, they look so life like. Sorry about the repairs on the house. Seems like it is always something. We just had to replace a roof. Hope you get your trailer ready for traveling. Time to have some fun.

Katie Sims said...

This is STUNNING, Leslie! I would have NEVER known there was any craft room drama whatsoever if you hadn't told on yourself! LOL... don't you just love happy accidents?! I personally think the addition of the banners is perfect!! Oh, the stories we ALL could tell about our traumatic crafty adventures, right? ;) Anyway, I can't leave here without a HUGE mention of how incredibly gorgeous your watercolor image is...I mean, seriously!! I wish I could be a fly on the wall and watch you do that, because you certainly have quite a gift! Hoping all is well with you...congratulations on your travel trailer! How fun! Squeeze those furry babies for me. Sending hugs your way! :)

Stacy Morgan said...

A rotten corner, oh no. Hopefully it won't take long or much money to fix. I hear you on its our turn, we have been here 14 years and things needed to get done the last few. Its awesome when its all done though. glad the RV is going good and you are starting to get it filled. So exciting! I bet you can't wait to hit the road. woot woot. Your blooms look wonderful and yes I could tell it was navy blue. I like all shades of blue. The colors are summery and beautiful.

Donna Ellis said...

oh my goodness! If THIS is the result of a two-day stamping fiasco, I have GOT to learn how to make boo-boos like yours, Leslie! It is beautiful, as always, with those treasured highlights in your flowers, and the amazing color combinations. The mat on your card appears to be a special blend of canvas fibers with a blue cast - great texture! I can hardly wait until you find yourself on the road, and enjoying your new life style. Lulu and Wally will enjoy it, too! Thanks for sharing your lovely magic today! I am leaving a much dreaded copy-and-paste phrase on my friends' blogs. Trying to get back into the groove of normal, everyday life. The recent events in Florida caused circumstances which triggered exacerbations of my diseases. Hoping that my hands heal, and strength returns soon - the rest of it can be coped with easily enough. Thanks for understanding my inability to accomplish very much - maybe in October? love and hugs, de