Thursday, November 10, 2022

Peony Rose on Black

Hello again!  I've had my first try at watercolor on black.  I bought a 5x7 pad of Stonehenge coldpress -- not too much to start just in case it turns out I don't care for it.  It's too soon to tell at this point.

For my first go I pulled out my Lisa Horton 3D Peony Rose Stem embossing folder and embossed a black panel.  I used my Twinkling H2O's to paint the raised areas of the image.  It's just plain old painting, no shading.  I'd forgotten what a difficult time I have seeing details in black, but I kept on till the end.  



The Twinks did an amazing job of covering the black so now I know I don't need to rush out and buy more metallic paints.  I love those little pots of paint!  I used my water spritzer bottle to spray water directly into the pots, then dipped my brush into the pot and proceeded to paint without any additional water.  After the paint was dry I slipped the panel back into the folder and embossed again.

I splattered with gold and added a gold embossed sentiment and a gold border at the lower edge.

The  4 1/2" x 6" card base is SU's retired Orchid Opulence, still one of my favorite SU colors.  I embossed the entire folded card base with SU's Subtle 3D folder.  It makes plain cardstock look so much prettier.

It's very difficult to show dimension on black, but I tried in the photo below.  It's also a trick to photograph metallic shine.  I was fortunate to have some sunshine coming through the window to help with all that.



This was probably not the easiest project for my first time out.  A gold or white embossed open line stamped image will be my next try.  I had a gold-embossed test piece on the side and I found that the full strength Twinks (metallic paints) obliterated any gold embossing they came in contact with so I know to be careful about that.  It's not the same as using regular watercolors that do not stick to embossing.

Anyway... more to follow with this technique later.  Any time spent in my stamp room is good time, so I'm happy.  See you again soon!


Stamps:  Birch Press Contempo stamp and die set  Paper:  Stonehenge Legion 140 lb coldpress watercolor, SU Orchid Opulence, scrap gold mirror cardstock  Ink:  Versamark  Coloring:  Watercolor with Twinkling H2O's  Other:  Lisa Horton Peony Rose Stem 3D embossing folder, SU Subtle embossing folder, Ranger Princess Gold embossing powder, foam mounting tape to pop up sentiment

27 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

WOW!!! For a 1st time water coloring on black you already look like a pro Leslie! This card is GORGEOUS! The purple and green on the black is so stunning and you've captured the shine and dimension from the embossing folder just beautifully! Lovely, lovely card my friend and I can't wait to see more!! Hugs. :0)

Diane said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! So beautiful on the black, makes the flower really pop, I love this!!!

Judy Woodland said...

WHOA! That is stunning. I bet that was so much fun to create, I must try it. Those colors just pop against the black, very beautiful!! Thanks for the inspiration, my friend!!!

crafty-stamper said...

WOW stunning card Leslie ,beautiful embossing and the twinkling H20's look amazing against the black!
Carol x

Viv said...

I simply LOVE this Leslie. A fantastic card.
I have some black watercolour paper but would not have thought of trying to emboss and colour so after seeing this am now going to have a go - thank you for inspiring me. x

Yogi said...

Beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your next experiment. Have a great day

Cat Craig said...

WOW, for your first time out with the black wc paper you sure rocked it. This is sublimely gorgeous.

Lynette said...

What a beautiful card, Leslie!! I didn't even know that there WAS black watercolor paper. Can't wait to see your next project. I agree - any time spent in the stamping room is good time! I've spent some time in mine the last couple days because Jim came down with COVID. He's fine, though.

Jeanne H said...

I agree with all the other, your card is absolutely beautiful!

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Stunning, Gorgeous Shine and dimension from your dry embossed and Twinkling H2O paints, Leslie. Thank you so much for sharing your detailed description and the close up photo...Wow!!!! Now I want to try your technique using a 3D dry Embossed image on black MM paper:-) I still have not tried the technique on an open stamped image...so much fun playing with new techniques. Thank you again for sharing your beauty, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy P.S. I still have the H2O's :-)

Margaret said...

Wow! This is just stunning! Fantastic job on the embossing and painting the embossed image. I love the color you used also. Orchid Opulence is also one of my favorite colors from SU. But, then again, I love purple. Can't wait to see your next project.

Loll said...

STUNNING card Leslie!! You nailed working with black w/c and metallic paints. This is so beautiful and looks amazing on the raised image from the embossing folder. The colours you've used are so vibrant and the shine is awesome. Great work! xx

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Oh my! What a beauty you created! If this is your first time I can hardly wait to see what's next! I love the embossing folder you choose and the colors are just gorgeous. I like the gold spattering's as well!

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie this is really a work of art! The only metallics I have are... well... metallics! ha - silver, white and different shades of yellow gold. You have me thinking I should be trying this out on the black card my friend gifted me so long ago!
Gorgeous - more please!
=]

Bonnie said...

Your first venture with this technique turned out beautifully, Leslie! I love how the orchid color really pops on the black background! Can't wait to see your future projects using this technique!

Pam Sparks said...

It's gorgeous in your photos Leslie....I can only imagine how amazing it is IRL! I hadn't thought about twinks on black! So good to know. Do you think it's because this was black watercolor paper or would black cardstock work too? Beautiful spatters! Did you use a gold twink for spattering? I think I've used the black one before.

Christine Alexander said...

stunning effect with the twinkling H2O's on the embossed image ♥ I'm going to have to give this one a go xx
Love the card xx

Donna Ellis said...

I have dozens of Twinks, too, but found it inconvenient to wet all of them enough to use them. So I tried the mica paint pallets, and though they are relatively inexpensive, I DO love them! LOL But I had not considered using them on colored cardstock, nor with an embossing folder! Leslie, pure genius! GORGEOUS card. I, too, find it difficult doing things on dark colors visually. But what drama you have created here! Here is the link in case you are interested at a whopping $8 https://www.amazon.com/Yasutomo-NPWC21-Pearlescent-Watercolor-21-Colors/dp/B001DJBV1E/ref=asc_df_B001DJBV1E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167129414796&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10101808152363257642&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012360&hvtargid=pla-309633321545&psc=1
love,
de

Cindy Beach said...

You rock the twinks every time, Leslie! I am WOWed by this gorgeous card! Trying new techniques is always fun isn't it? The metallic shimmer is so lovely!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my that turned out just gorgeous, the colors pop against that black, pretty in the metallics. I bought some black watercolor paper and haven't given it a try yet. I like your idea of embossing again after coloring, I have not done that. I like the gold splatters with it too!

Bobbi Miller said...

Wow! Such a beautiful card. I am happy to learn about Twinks because when I was packing to move to Missouri from AZ, I found a whole box of these and had never used them. I am now anxious to try since you explained how. Funny how so many supplies make their way into my craft room, and never make it out. They are trapped for years! Now that I've finally retired, I hope to change that. Lovely card, Leslie. XO

HilaryJane said...

This is just stunning, I love the look on black paper. I bought some black watercolour paper a while ago and haven't really used it yet. Your gorgeous example of what can be done with it has made me want to change that. Now I need a trick that will find me some more time! Hope you can keep these coming as I can look at them for a long time and not get bored xx

CaroleAnn said...

You should be real proud of this card. It is breathtaking! Stunning! Beautiful! Yes, I love it. You are so very blessed with talent. Thanks for sharing your works of art! Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours. Hugs

Glenda said...

Now you have me running for my closet and rummaging around to see if I still have my Twinkling H20 pots! This is absolutely stunning my friend and I do want to try this myself!

pam said...

OMW this is stunning Leslie, one of my favourite Lisa`s folder, beautiful on black and those H20s wow..must get mine out one day
Hugs Pam x

laurie said...

Stunning stunning stunning!!!!

Darnell said...

You did choose a difficult project for your first try with this technique, Leslie, but you mastered it, nonetheless! It's stunning in color and dimension and shine! I used my tiny palette of perfect pearls for my first time, but I wondered how the H2Os would work, so thank you for answering that. I have many pots of the little beauties, some pristine, sitting sadly waiting for some attention. I, too, was young when I bought them, lol! Hugs, Darnell