Monday, February 14, 2022

Faux Cloisonne Flower

Hi there!  I hope this Valentine Monday finds you well.  We're all good here.  Things have settled down a bit for the time being and I'm focusing on home and friends and card making as time allows.

Today's card is not a Valentine, but a birthday card for my depleted stash.  It came about entirely because of the CAS Mix Up Challenge which Susan is hosting.  She's asking for Faux Cloisonne.  You can see beautiful samples and "how to" links on the challenge blog.  I did not have any suitable glossy magazines so I looked to my designer paper stash knowing I had some beautiful papers with a satiny gloss finish.  This felt a lot like paper piecing.



The flower and sentiment are from a 10 yr old Penny Black set called To You.  I stamped and gold-embossed twice.  The bottom layer is the full flower which I hand cut and then glued onto black, then trimmed again with a bit of border showing.  The top flower layer was trimmed to a smaller size, easily following the lines of the stamp.  The sentiment was stamped in Versafine Onyx Black and clear embossed.



Other bits are a black pearl for the flower center, a gold frame from my "card parts" box,  splatters of dilute SU Regal Rose ink, and Frieda Leaf  by Memory Box.  The gloss of the designer paper doesn't show much, but it sure is pretty and all that gold is rather spectacular.  It may not be CAS enough for the challenge, but I sure do appreciate how the team inspired me and so I'll happily share it.  Two challenges:

CAS Mix Up Card Challenge:  Faux Cloisonne
NBUS Challenge #35 because, believe it or not, my 6 yr old Frieda Leaf is a first time use.  Now, don't be too shocked... I bought it from an estate sale more recently than that.  Okay, so it was over a year ago.  I know -- what took me so long?  Sheesh!


 


That's it for today.  I'm so glad you stopped by.  Have a happy Valentine's Day and enjoy the rest of your week!



26 comments:

Diane said...

Beautiful card, always love when gold is added, so very elegant. Looks like a fun technique! So happy to hear that things are settling down for now, lets hope it stays that way!! Give those beautiful fur babies a hug for me!!
Happy Valentines Day!!

HilaryJane said...

Just gorgeous Leslie, so nice to see you in the CAS Mix Up gallery. I am glad you are finding some time to craft. Love all the gold shine on your card xx

crafty-stamper said...

Glad to hear everything has settled down at the moment.Love your beautiful card and flower-I had never heard of this technique before
Carol x

Margaret said...

Your card is gorgeous. I love the colors and that technique. So pretty. Glad to hear that things are smoothing out a bit for you guys. You're always in my prayers.

Cat Craig said...

This is quite lovely Leslie. Such a pretty card. The gold leaves are a spectacular addition to your cloisonne blooms.

Lynette said...

So beautiful, Leslie! I love the paper you chose, and all the gold is so pretty. Love the added embossing of the sentiment too - a great added touch.

Barbara said...

Good to see that you are stamping again and this have settled down. I am very interested in this technique, as I adore your card and the technique. Cutting that black outline around your flower is genius. Going over to take a look at more ideas for Faux cloisonne.

Darlene said...

BEAUTIFUL! that's a technique I don't think I've ever tried ... well, I'll have to do something about that!! LOL Happy Valentine's Day my friend. Glad things have settled down a bit ... still keeping you & Rich in my prayers and happy thoughts! HUGS

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Absolutely Gorgeous Elegant CAS faux cloisonne Birthday card, Leslie:-) TFS the close up photo of the beautiful shine and your detailed description. You are inspiring me to use the technique again:-) TFS and Happy Valentine's Day to you two love birds too:-) Love and Hugs..Nancy

Yogi said...

BEAUTIFUL. Glad things are settling a bit. Hope you have a great day and Happy Valentine's. BIG GRIN

Joan B said...

wow that's beautiful

Bonnie said...

Wow! This looks like it belongs in a jewelry box, Leslie! A beautiful flower and I love all that gold and the shine of the sentiment! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

Loll said...

Loving your Faux Cloisonne flower Leslie. It's really beautiful with the lovely marbled pink and gold. I now have to check out that old PB stamp set and see if they still sell it. You are so good at enabling me to part with my money! :) Gorgeous design with lots of amazing gold accents. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!! xx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my that is just stunning, love the gold with those shades of pink, love the gold framing and leaves with it too, gorgeous creation!

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous card Leslie, I'm loving your use of faux cloisonné on DP :)

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful card lovely colours and stamping...as always . xx

Mac Mable said...

What a beautiful card and so very pretty. I love the flowers and the attention to detail with using a black layer behind them.....Thank you for the inspiration Leslie x. Well done you on using the fabulous shiny 'Leaf' die and loving the splats too. A real beauty of a card with a striking technique x.

Susan Joyce said...

Gorgeous elegant design Leslie love all the gold teamed with the beautiful pink cloisonné flowers. Thanks for joining us this month at CAS ix Up!

Evelyn S. said...

It's such an elegant card, Leslie! The pink and gold are beautifully paired for that wonderful flower, and the delicate gold leaves are special.

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Oh my, your card is just gorgeous! My face lit up when I saw it! The flower, the sentiment and all the gold are just perfect together along with the shade of pink. Have a good week!

Cindy Beach said...

This is such a great technique and I'm happy to be reminded how beautiful it can be! You know with me you can't go wrong with pink and gold, and the floral is gorgeous! Doesn't matter how long you've had it or when you bought it. Hey, you're using it! Beautifully, as always.

Brenda in IN said...

This is so pretty, Leslie. I love the soft pink and those gold leaves are stunning.

Pauline said...

This is so beautiful Leslie! Love the flower your used for this technique, and a great idea to add a layer of black behind the bottom flower. Love all the gold especially the Frieda Leaf ( I can't believe this is the first time you have used it!). Very elegant card. Glad to hear things are settling down. Always thinking of you. Hugs,

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous. That embossing is fantastic Leslie and the soft soothing colors with the gold is awesome. Simply gorgeous. Glad you are finding sometime to stamp and relaxing.

laurie said...

So very elegant and pretty. I always love a touch of gold.

Prudence said...

Magnificent card. I love your choice of patterned paper and compliments the stamp used perfectly. Thank you for sharing with us at NBUS.

Prudence
NBUS February Guest Designer