Friday, May 18, 2018

Flowerful Friday: Birds and Blooms

Hi there!  I have two cards today that started with the die cut sentiments.  I'd cut the sentiments from smooshed-ink backgrounds just to see how they'd look and, rather than leave them sitting around as spare parts, I set to work on some cards.  I call that "cleaning my room".  Any excuse to stamp, right?

The smooshed ink on the first is SU Pink Pirouette and Lavender Lace.  The flowers are retired SU Stippled Blossoms, a go-to set when I don't feel like coloring.  I cut out and arranged on white wood grain card stock with a strip of wood grain designer paper, and scattered some sequins around.  At that point I was disappointed with how high I'd set the sentiment.  I wasn't going to throw it out, but it bothered me.

Well, along came the current Dies R Us "Birds" challenge and I suddenly knew how to fix it satisfactorily -- by adding the birdhouse and birds.  Proportionately they're way off, but, really, does it matter?




The second card uses SU Cool Caribbean and Barely Banana.  More wood grain and sequins.  The sentiment is in a better position so I didn't add any extras.  I was going for more of a clean, if not simple, look when I made these cards.   Actually, they're simple, too, but there was some time involved, especially in the second card.

These are two-step stamps, as I'm sure you can tell, and I thought it might be pretty to do the overlay stamp in white embossing.  It took extra time, but I like the result.




The inside of each card coordinates.  The sentiment is from a Fiskars set called "Make a Wish Quotes".  Lots of great birthday quotes in that set.




ps:  This photo with Wally, his blankie, and the cherry blossoms coordinates rather nicely with the first card, don't you think?




The cherry blossoms are mostly gone from the tree now, and the few that are left are faded and limp, but there's always something else coming along in the garden.  I love spring!

I'll give a full supply list below my signature.  I'm glad you could take the time to stop by.  Enjoy the rest of your day!

Dies R Us Birds Challenge





Stamps:  SU Stippled Blossoms, Fiskars Make a Wish Quotes  Paper:  White woodgrain card stock, SU Whisper White for stamping, Ms Sparkle & Co wood grain designer paper  Ink:  Lavender Lace/Elegant Eggplant, Pink Pirouette/Pretty in Pink, Gable Green/Green Galore, Cool Caribbean, Barely Banana, Versamark  Accessories:  Sequins, white embossing powder, Paper Smooches Happy Birthday die, Memory Box Contempo Birds, Impression Obsession Birdhouse Set

24 comments:

Diane said...

Beautiful cards with beautiful colors! What a great stamp set this is, I have a love for the layered stamps, geez wish I had this one, it's beautiful!! Fabulous picture of Wally in his cherry blossoms and blankie he looks so happy.I love Spring too!!

Diane said...

Oh, I forgot to add, thanks for joining us at Dies R Us with those gorgeous cards!! Have a great day!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

WOW!! Leslie, my memory just got a good jolt here when I saw this card because I have this set and I HAVEN'T USED IT IN A VERY, VERY LONG TIME!!! I had forgotten how beautiful these images are but now, after seeing this gorgeous, amazing cards you created, I feel a sudden urge to go to my craft room, dust this stamp set off and ink it up.
Love everything about this cards, the color combination on each card and the design is absolutely fabulous, love the die cut sentiment on each card matching the flowers.
Another amazing creations my friend.
XO
Maria Rodriguez.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your cards are so gorgeous and well designed. And, I love the beautiful colors you used for them as well.

Yogi said...

both are really pretty. nice smooshed backgrounds for the lettering. Have a great day

Kathy Krug said...

Beautiful designs. I love the little birds and birdhouse. The little strip of wood grain is perfect. I just got some new wood grain paper and it is too much to use for the whole card but this idea is perfect. Thanks for the inspiration.

Margaret said...

Both cards are so beautiful. I don't think I could choose one over the other.

I'm glad to see Wally out and about having a fun time among the grass and flowers.

Darlene said...

Both cards are just lovely Leslie!! I just love those little birdies on your first card and the sentiment panels look awesome! Beautifully crafted! Awww and look at Wally all nestled in the beautiful green of your grass all dotted with sweet cherry blossoms! Fabulous photo! We are at sea today headed for Tonga. Almost Mi Tia time lol!

Darlene said...

LOL me again ... forgot to thank you for joining us at the Dies R Us 'Birds' Challenge! Silly me!!

Sunny Strawbaler said...

WoW! They are both gorgeous but that green and blue colour combo took my breath away! Such pretty cards and lovely layouts. Sherylee.

Conniecrafter said...

Those layering stamps are so nice aren't they, if you line them up right they do all the work :) Great matching of the sentiment die with the flowers and love the wood background! I do love the embossed flowers also, beautiful either way!!

Pauline said...

Leslie, both are beautiful cards. You do such an amazing job at these layering stamps. I have this set as well and because they are cling it is very hard to match up the layering. Looking at yours, you make it look so easy. Do you use a stamp positioner? Anyway, back to your cards. Lovely colours, great design. Woodgrain paper is perfect for your cards. I love the little bird house off to the side, and no it doesn't matter that it is not proportioned, I think if works very well this way, it was meant to be. The way you did your background for your sentiments is a great idea. Fabulous picture of Wally among all the cherry blossoms. He seems so content. TFS and have a great day! (I think I need to pull out this stippled blossoms set and give it another try!)

Birgit said...

Two very lovely cards! The colors on the flowers are brilliant! Wally is so cute with his blankey too. Thanks so much for linking up to the DRU "Birds" challenge. Best of luck to you!

Bobbi-spapertrail.blogspot.com said...

Leslie, these are amazing as always. Stippled Blossoms is one set I'll never get rid of. The results are beautiful every time. I love your choice of colors, and that sentiment stamp set? Who would think it came from Joanne's. Gonna grab that one online today! Thanks for the inspiration. Wally is adorable. Be still my heart.����♥️

Lynette said...

Way to use up your card parts before they even sat around very long! :) Your cards are both so lovely. What a great idea to use white for the second step of stamping.

pam said...

One of my favourite SU stamp sets Leslie, wish I had time to use them,..
Two gorgeous cards and wonderful colours , love the layout.
Pam x

Inkyfingers said...

What a gorgeous pair of cards Leslie and I love the embossed background. I love how you carried that through with the brown planks on the fronts - such a great design idea!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I love how these cards turned out. The colors are so soft and pretty This is oe of my favorite stamp sets from SU. Wally looks very happy and content! Hope you had a great weekend. We had rain but the sun is coming out tomorrow. Lots of grass to mow!

Ros Crawford said...

Two absolutely stunning cards, but sorry... Wally has my heart!

KimCreate said...

Beautiful cards Leslie. Love the design and different color palettes.

Cindy Beach said...

Cool Caribbean is my absolute favorite SU color of all time! Love how gorgeous it looks with the Barely Banana. Your birthday cards are so pretty with the layered flower stamps and coordinating insides.
I just got back from a trip to the mountains and can just guess how relaxed Wally must feel out on the fresh grass!

Stacy Morgan said...

Both of these are so pretty. The little bit of wood grain designer paper is perfect. I think the yellow is my favorite. ;-) Wally looks handsome as ever!

Barbara said...

Beautiful cards, Leslie! Thank you for playing along with us in the DIES R US challenge!
Barbara
Dies R Us Challenge Blog DT
http://carterie-creative.blogspot.fr

Hannelie said...

Beautiful cards! I love the effect of the white embossing!
Say hello to Wally! I just want to join him on that soft green grass!