Monday, June 12, 2023

Happy Finches

Hello again!  Back with a little garden scene made from a mix of products -- some used for the first time, some old favorites.  My friend asked me to make a card for her grandson's outdoor wedding.  I know this is not the typical wedding card, but she specifically asked that it be nature themed and somewhat rustic.  She loved it.



I should probably wear my strongest glasses and look through a super magnifying glass before I call anything done because the poor little birds appear to have been wallowing in the dirt.  I didn't notice that at all until I saw the photo, tsk tsk.  My friend apparently didn't notice either.  They are Penny Black Finches, sitting on a fence made from wood grain cardstock cut with the outline of the PB Happy Edger die, then scored every half inch and inked up to make it look more like a fence.  The big "happy" comes with the Happy Edger die.

Got to have some grass and overhanging branches in the garden, set against a sky of 49 & Market designer paper.  I used limited colors to avoid busyness.  The rhinestones in the same color add a bit of blingy shine without going over the top.



Coloring is a mix of inks and Tombow markers.  I added a stamped sentiment from the Penny Black Happy Builder set, then framed the works on a 5 1/4" card base.

I will play along in two challenges today:

The Four Seasons Challenge:  June, anything goes summer
NBUS Challenge #51.  My Penny Black dies and stamped sentiment are used for the first time.


 


Thank you!


Stamps:  Penny Black Happy Builder  Paper:  Arches 140 lb hot press watercolor, 111 lb wood grain cardstock, tan Bazzill, 49 & Market Sky mini collection designer paper  Ink:  Memento Rich Cocoa and Toffee Crunch, SU Blue Bayou & Wild Wasabi, Tombow markers  Dies:  Penny Black Happy Edger, Penny Black Finches, Poppystamps Leaf Sprig Border, Impression Obsession Grass, Spellbinders squares and rectangle  Other:  Kaiser Rhinestones


19 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

This has got to be the sweet wedding card ever Leslie, and you gave your friend exactly what she was looking for!! And I don't think your birdies look dirty at all...you used all those shades of brown perfectly! And they really do look "happy" perched on the fence together!! Love, LOVE this card!! Hugs. :0)

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card-different but as long as the customer was happy!LOve the fence and your birds look fine to me.
Carol x

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

What a beautiful card you made for your friend. We have a lot of finches come to our birdfeeder and we especially like the gold ones. They definitely look happy singing away on the adorable fence and not dirty at all. Have a great week!

Cat Craig said...

There is just something about birds and love....fab card.

Yogi said...

very cute and the 2 birds looking at each other with love makes it soooo appropriate. Well done. Have a great day

Diane said...

What a fun and unique wedding card, I think the finches look great, I have a few finches at my finch feeder now and then and love watching them. I can see why your friend was pleased with the finished result!! Oh, and BTW, I almost ordered those Folk Art CC new release myself, I love them!!

Bonnie said...

Such sweet birds and they don't look a bit muddy to me, Leslie! I LOVE the fence and the overhanging branches and background! What a fantastic wedding card!

Pam Sparks said...

What a total delight and so totally charming Leslie! I love it! All the dies you used... fabulous design!

Glenda said...

Your card is amazing! And those little birds are so very cute my friend. I don't think they look dirty at all. As always great coloring!

Darlene said...

Awe ... how sweet and what a creative wedding card! So unique and meaningful ... I understand her loving it! I have a variety of finches at my feeders and they can sure go through the sunflower seeds! LOL Beautifully crafted as always my friend. Thinking about you & yours!!
Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Four Seasons Challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back again soon.

Darlene
Co-Owner
FOUR SEASONS CHALLENGE
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

More challenge fun beginning July 7th … check it out … SIMPLY CLEAN & SIMPLE

Lynette said...

So adorable, Leslie! I'm sure the bride and groom liked it as much as your friend who asked you to make it! I find it very hard to make cards specifically for someone. It's so much easier to just let cards "happen" and then figure out which card will go to who later. :-) I love the way the fence is cut to match the "happy." Seeing your little sentiment reminded me to get out my Word Window punch. Thanks for that reminder!

Margaret said...

I think it is beautiful and the little finches look great. You are always so great at putting things together and come out with a perfect creation.

Conniecrafter said...

Neat that we both made wedding cards that aren't the norm :) I love your finches and I guess even on my big monitor I don't see what is wrong with your sweet birds. The heart you put in the middle of them was a great idea and I love how you used the happy die for them to perch on and adding the fence touch. That paper made for a great look of the sky and I love your gems in the branches, I can see why she was very happy with it, LOVE it!

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, your birds are just fine! In fact, they are adorable perched upon the edge of your very creative, happy fence!
I think the bride and groom are going to cherish it forever!
=]

Evelyn S. said...

Omigosh, Leslie...I don't know if anyone does the detailed work that you do on a card! Scoring, cutting, coloring, adding bling....all wonderful! What a special card for the outdoor wedding. Just special!

Barbara said...

I think that when I get a request for a special card it is the most fun for me. I can see that it is for you as well. I love the special scene that you made with these finches and I disagree that they look like they were wallowing in dirt! Haha!

HilaryJane said...

i think your little birds are just great and I love that tiny heart. What a great way to make the fence too. It has all come together perfectly and I am not at all surprised that your friend loved it xx

Christine Alexander said...

those little finches are adorable and so beautifully coloured. Wonderful scene with the die cuts ♥

Cindy Beach said...

I think the birds look sweet and rustic. In love, and beautifully colored! I just got this PB stamp and the happy die (and a lot more!) So lovely to see how creatively you've used it.