Monday, June 26, 2017

Wrapped Frame and a Fancy Fold

Hi, all!  As mentioned in an earlier post I'm going to show my method for wrapping a frame, but first, let me qualify the fancy fold.  It required no particular craftiness on my part as the card base was sent to me by my Double D teamie friend, Darlene -- pre-scored and with instructions for folding.  It's called a reverse explosion.  I had admired her card here and the next thing you know... I received happy mail!  Darlene purchased the card bases pre-cut and pre-scored so, sorry, no instructions or measurements available.  It's a tricky fold and even with instructions I had to go look at Darlene's card again to really "get" it.  I'm usually pretty run of the mill with my card folds, but there will be more fancy folds coming shortly.  I get by with a little help from my friends.

There are a lot of photos here so I'll try to keep the talk to a minimum.  First, the card with the wrapped frame front and center:




I mixed up some Power Poppy stamps, some DCWV Lemon Flower paper, and a few die cuts.  Supplies will be listed at the end.  All folds were covered with designer paper.




The card folds into a 5" square.




Now... the frame.  Whatever size or shape you choose, cut designer paper slightly larger.  Large enough to fold over the edge of the frame.




Adhere frame to back side of designer paper.  Cut X as shown.  Trim corners as shown.  The points of the inside flaps will be trimmed off.




The photo below shows the points trimmed off and double-sided tape applied.




The finished frame looks like this on the back side:




Decorate as desired.




I made this into a very cheerful anniversary card -- one of four I'm making for a friend.  Plenty of glitter and happiness!

I hope this all made sense.  More details in the recipe further down.  Thanks for visiting!  Enjoy your day!


Stamps:  Power Poppy Dynamic Duos: Glads and Gerberas, Dynamic Duos: Peonies and Tulips (sentiment)  Paper:  Pre-scored reverse explosion card base, Neenah 110 lb white for daisies and sentiment flag, other white for daisy die cuts, DCWV Lemon Flower designer paper  Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black for daisies, Versafine Onyx Black for sentiment, Copics for coloring  Accessories:  Silver cord, Stickles Stardust glitter glue  Dies:  Spellbinders Classic Squares Large and Small, Spellbinders Nested Lacy Pennants, Memory Box Banner Parade, Sue Wilson Daisy Cluster

19 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Super tutorial and super duper card! It's so pretty! Love your choice of colours too!

Lynette said...

Holy smokes that looks like a lot of work!!! And SO worth it! :) I love all of your patterned papers and embellishments - your flowers are beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial on the covered frame.

Joan B said...

wow that is gorgeous!!

Pauline said...

Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous! Love this fancy fold, and you have decorated it tastefully! Your flowers are so pretty and love that you matched the colours of the flowers on the outside edges to the gerber daisy's. I agree with Lynette, a lot of work, but so worth it! Great tutorial as well! Thanks for sharing a beautiful piece of artwork! Enjoy your day.

Diane said...

Beautiful Leslie, the colors are so gorgeous and full of happiness!! Dar sent me some of those folds too and I had totally forgotten about them until I saw your card, now I will have not only hers, but yours as well to guide me along!! I have to find where I put them first..lol. Anyhow, you flowers with the glitter are so very pretty and your friend will love this!!

Donna Ellis said...

How thoughtful of Darlene to share her goodies with you! It's a beautiful card, and I love how you framed your masterpiece! Thanks for the tutorial, Leslie. The citrusy-good papers look great against the gray dots. Such a fun, floral themed creation with those magnificent PP flowers, and the matching die cuts, so cleverly colored. How fun to create something with this fancy fold! I'm with you and Dar, it would be too difficult for me to do myself! LOL hugs, de

Yogi said...

very pretty. Haven't made one of these structures in quite a while... Have a great day

nancy littrell said...

Wow...what an amazing fancy fold card, especially with your choice of beautiful DSP's. TFS your video tutorial on how you framed the main image. I have never done that technique, but you are inspiring me Leslie to give it a try. TFS and always inspiring me my friend. Hugs..

Pam Sparks said...

I would like to tell you when our anniversary is!!! lol lol lol This is a keepsake for sure Leslie! WOW! Gorgeous coloring and designing!

Evelyn S. said...

How cute is this!!! I've made the fancy fold card before, but certainly never with a beautiful frame. Everything about this duo is so pretty: colors, patterns, and the extra touches of embellishments.

Glenda said...

Leslie, this is quite beautiful and I love that you gave us a tutorial!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

You really outdid yourself with this post!! It is absolutely gorgous!! What an intersting fancy fold. I want to thank you for all your sweet comments - especially last week. I really appreciated them!

Margaret said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! and more Wow! This is simply awesome. Love the foldover frame and the beautiful papers you used. Of course, I had to go look at Dar's card and then track down where she got those card bases. I will have to try my hand at this.

Conniecrafter said...

very cool fold, your papers are just beautiful and compliment the flowers so well! I love the airy die cut leaves on the sides and that banner is such a cute touch!! Your friends will just love it!
I love these type fold cards but always have a problem with where to put the sentiment you would put on the inside of the card. Love your frames too!

Penny Wessenauer (d0npen) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy Morgan said...

The frame is perfect and I do like this fancy fold. Very springy and pretty Leslie!

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Leslie, this is a beautiful card and just perfect for an anniversary! I love the gerbera daisies and the beautiful DP you've used! Yes, I would be lost without a template/card base, but you've decorated it beautifully with the added dies. It's stunning, and thanks for the great step-out photos. You are amazing! (P. S. I visited the link that Penny left, and it was helpful. I also found that The Paper Cut has these card bases available in various colors. Neat, eh?) Anyway, I am way behind in commenting, but I always love seeing what you have for us...never a disappointment! Hugs! xoxo

Robyn Oliver said...

A wonderful, bright, cheerful card Leslie and thamk you for showing us how easy to cover a frame

Susie said...

What a wonderful layout, Leslie!! I don't think I've seen this layout before. It frames your piece so well. You are a master colorist my friend, and I enjoy each piece immensely!