Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Double D Challenge -- Water Related

 

It's Double D challenge time again, and Darlene has given us a "Water Related" theme -- think ocean, rain, waterfall, any body of water, etc.  Use your fabulous imagination.  Have a look at the inspiration board:



We have creative winners plus a random prize winner.



I've been making a point of working with my never been used supplies, but I was stumped when it came to this challenge until I remembered some beautiful 6x6 designer paper I was gifted.  There are several sheets in the collection that are way too pretty to be chopped up so I had to come up with a plan.

It's easier to show than to explain, so I have lots of photos.  You might get the impression that it's a gatefold, but it's a sort of z-fold/gatefold concoction.  Neither one quite worked on its own so I pieced some ideas together.



At this point it still looks like a gatefold.  The tab fits into a slot between two strips of foam mounting tape.  It still wouldn't stay closed flat enough for my satisfaction so I added a magnet closure.  That's a magnet under the circle of designer paper on the front panel.



The next photo shows it open, but there's one more fold yet to come.




Here it is (below) with the z-fold or accordion fold side of the card completely open.  It utilizes the full 6x6 panel of designer paper.



I thought I might as well decorate the back of the card, too.  And why not a sentiment?  All designer paper parts are from the Ciao Bella (CB) Delta paper pad.



I know it probably doesn't make a lot of sense.  If I had a video to link to I would, but I made it up as I went along and I'm quite sure I'll never make it again.  I breathed a sigh of relief when it was finished.  All the sentiments -- relax, just breathe, enjoy the moment -- come from a discontinued Power Poppy stamp set called Lilac Time.

Still with me?  Come check out the team's inspiration at Double D and then play along with your own water-themed project.  Have fun!



22 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, what a beautiful and VERY creative card and a fabulous way to use those beautiful papers! Well done!!

Birgit said...

What a gorgeous and genius creation, Leslie! I can see why you wanted to use these paper in their entirety. They're beautiful. I love your creative design which allowed you to showcase this lovely line. The magnetic closure is brilliant as well. This card is a keeper and one that I would put on display. Well done!!

Donna Phelan said...

OMGoodness! This is beyond gorgeous! That paper is everything! I love the way you used each design. Brilliant! And it truly is a FUN Fold!

Darlene said...

This is AMAZING and absolutely awesome!!! LOVE what you've done inside, outside and all around! GREAT JOB and BEAUTIFUL inspiration!

Amelia Breytenbach said...

What a stunning card! Love how you put it all together.

Glenda said...

This is just so beautiful! I love the design and those papers are to die for!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

what a great and creative card you made! Your DSP is beautiful. Love the card technique as well!

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! What beautiful dsp to start with Leslie and then all the wonderful folds on top of that?? Incredible card my friend...absolutely LOVE it!! Hugs. :0)

Cat Craig said...

That is one gorgeous piece of art!

I Card Everyone said...

I completely understand why you didn't want to cut this paper, Leslie! What a gorgeous scene - you've saved it beautifully with your clever cut/fold! [that Heron is the star of the show!]
=]

Judy Woodland said...

Oh Leslie, this is amazing. That paper is to die for, and you have used it perfectly. You have made my favorite kind of layout with all the different panels and elements. And that closure is GENIUS!! I can't get enough of this, I love everything about it.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and clever fold -uses your beautiful paper/images perfectly-love it!
Carol x

Lisa Elton said...

Wowee!! This is beautifully done, Leslie! So creative, very clever and simply fabulous!

Bonnie said...

I am having to pick my jaw up off the floor, Leslie! WOW! What pretty paper and I love how it all went together with this fabulous design! So clever and definitely a real piece of art!

Lynette said...

Very clever and cool, Leslie!! Fabulous that you just made it up as you went along. Amazing paper, too.

Vicki said...

Gorgeous card, Leslie! Love the combination of folds you used to create this design. The patterned papers are amazing as are the images. The covered magnet closure is a brilliant idea.

Christine Alexander said...

wow such pretty papers and layout ♥

Pauline said...

Absolutely stunning! Wow, I just can't stop looking at this. So beautifully created. Love this!

Barbara said...

Oh MY, Leslie! This is so breathtaking, and I am enjoying the relaxing feel that I got when I saw it. It amazes me how you did that with the selection of papers. Then you sent over the top with the fancy fold. My hat off to you, my friend. I too am trying to use my current supplies.

Conniecrafter said...

Aren't you just a clever one. Well I would say you used these beautiful papers to showcase them beautifully! Love the scenes, your neat closure and the great idea with the magnet closure. Even decorating the back, so cool, a surprise at every turn for the recipient of this beauty!

Cindy Beach said...

I'm back for a second time to admire this card, which I think is amazing! I struggle to use my pretty papers, and you are so good at finding different ways to use yours. This beautiful card is so clever and unique, keeping with the theme in such a special way.

Gayle said...

Beautiful card and designer paper used to the max.