Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Twinkling Rose

Hello, again!  First of all, I was tickled to read your comments about the Spectrum Noir Sparkle pens we discussed on my last card.  It's good to hear I'm not alone under that rock!  They were a nice surprise and I can honestly recommend them for watercoloring.  In fact, I followed Darnell's link in the comments and purchased a 12 marker set.  I'll be trying them out, but first I have some other already made cards that need sharing.

After the Spectrum Noir Sparkle card I immediately set about making today's card.  See, I was so inspired by those sparkle pens I thought I'd pull out my Twinkling H2Os and see how they compared.  Does anyone use them anymore?  Does anyone even sell them?  I have a drawer full.  Ages old.  They've languished in the drawer because I never found them all that easy to use and my results weren't great, but I feel differently about them now.




Whereas Spectrum sparkle pens sparkle, Twinks shimmer and perhaps twinkle a little.  It's an entirely different effect and virtually impossible to photograph to its advantage.  I tried in the photo below, but it almost makes it look worse, tsk tsk.




To get the very lightest shade of color I lifted it from the pot with a wet paint brush, smeared onto a plastic palette and then added more water.  Added darker shades directly from the pot.  Some say to spritz the pot with water, but I just swish a wet paint brush around in there.  I splattered with gold and umber.  Gosh, if nothing else, these paints are worth it just for the shimmery splatters.

The stamp set I chose is Power Poppy's My English Rose.  Guess I was in a rose mood that day, but this truly is a beautiful stamp.  After coloring I thought of this oldie but goodie paper collection -- My Mind's Eye A Beautiful Life -- and, sure enough, the colors were a perfect match.




Okay, I'll try to finish up now...  Are your eyes glazing over?  I added some simple die cuts for embellishment.  The Tattered Lace Oriental Blue Bird die was layered three times and a branch/bird in the center trimmed off so it wouldn't cover the painting.  One of the trimmed off birds is perched on the top left corner of the image panel.  I'll list everything in the recipe below my signature.

I'm glad I held onto these paints.  I have a few other things I'd like to try now.  This is all way too much fun!  Have a happy day!

Stamps:  Power Poppy My English Rose  Paper:  Arches 140 lb hot press watercolor, Memory Box Sage, My Mind's Eye A Beautiful Life designer paper, Ink:  Palette Noir, Tinkling H2Os for watercoloring  Accessories:  Tattered Lace Oriental Blue Bird die, Impression Obsession Fancy Cut Out Border die

21 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Another stunner! You are such a talented artist! MME papers were always a favourite of mine and i probably still have a few hiding somewhere!

pam said...

Wow looks fantastic colour using H2Os on this beautiful image Leslie, I have every colour and doubles of these, think I should have a play! wont be a patch on your gorgeous card..
Hugs Pam x

Darlene said...

GORGEOUS and OMG I really need to blow the dust off my H2Os now! You always inspire me ... beautiful design! Hugs!
P.S. Thank you SO MUCH for the Happy Mail! OMG what an amazing surprise ... LOVE them!

Yogi said...

beautiful. lovely coloring. Have a great day

Ida said...

Your cards are just so breathtaking. I always enjoy seeing what you create. - Also love your stamping area.

Glenda said...

Once again you have inspired me to get back to my roots! I have some of the H2O's somewhere in a drawer and I'm on a mission to find them. Your creation is just lovely and I am a sucker for a rose anyway and yours is quite lovely!

Pauline said...

Leslie,this is gorgeous done with H2o's! Yes I have lots of these but it's been a few years since I used them as well. I just might have to pull them out again to use them. I agree with you choice of papers, they are a perfect match to your image. I don't know what else to say other than you have outdone yourself once again! A Stunning card - love all the shimmer the H2O's provide, and your eye for details!WOW!

Margaret said...

What a gorgeous card. I love how you colored the rose. I just ordered some digital roses from PP and can't wait to have time to play with them. The colors are so striking and I love that paper you used. I love MME. How did I ever miss this pallette. I think I have some H20's in a drawer too. Time, time, time! It's so fleeting.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my so gorgeous, I watercolored with my distress inks the other day and I haven't shared the card yet as I am not sure I like it, I so wish you lived close by and I could take some classes from you as I did not get a good result at all. My hubby tried to help by but what he suggested still doesn't look all that good. Maybe I will share it and ask for suggestions on how I what I should have done instead. Yes I do have some H2O's not many though, you have done a stunning job with them, and you are so right that paper couldn't have been a better match to fo with your roses!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I love the paper with the roses! When I unpacked my boxes, I came across my H20's and dusted them off. I use to play with them alot. Beautiful card.

CherylQuilts said...

Wow! Leslie, this is GORGEOUS, and I am so surprised that you've used H2O's, which I have!! Of course, they are wonderful and have such beautiful shimmer and wonderful colors. Like Pauline, I'm going to have to pull them out and try them. I absolutely LOVE your coloring...always so exquisite, and you keep on getting better and better (which is hard to believe). I love this older DP that I also have some left, and what beautiful dies you've used as accents. Truly a gorgeous card! Hugs!

Pam Sparks said...

So fun to read your posts Leslie! Are your eyes glazing over?! hehe NO! silly girl! yes, I have a ton of these too... the black makes great spatters I've found too! lol I know one gal that paints with them all the time. I'll forward her blog update email next time one comes in. Beautiful card coloring and designing Leslie! TFS!

Stacy Morgan said...

Gasp!!! Well I am glad you kept them too, this is gorgeous Leslie! The yellow and brown back lighting or whatever you call it is awesome! I do like the hints of sparkle on this as well. Simply gorgeous!!! P.S. I will send you a card when you are 90 with lots of roses too. ;-) You are so sweet girl!!! Hugs...

Diane said...

Right out of a beautiful Rose garden, and freshly picked...and downright gorgeous!! I love my Twinkling H2o's, though haven't used since the days when I was designing for Classy Cards 'n Such. I think I might have a little bit of 'too much stuff'..lol! I remember when I first got them I was so disappointed as they were 'all dried up'...lol...until I read you had to wet/spritz them, boy an I glad I didn't make a fool of myself by complaining about them being 'dried up'...hah! Totally beautiful card with the papers and stitching, too!

Sherri said...

I have a whole drawer full too & just used 2 of them the other day to color a fish die! I am amazed at how spectacular your coloring is with them. I've never had much luck using them to watercolor and yours looks like a professional painted it! WOW!! That is a gorgeous card, Leslie!

Evelyn S. said...

It's another beauty, Leslie! I have more than a hundred "Twinks" in a "stacked" tackle box that I bought specifically for them. It's full, so there are 6-10 more jars in a drawer. I haven't used them for a long time, but might be trying them soon.

Susan (rainy) said...

Always such a treat to visit your blog, Leslie. Love all the details in this gorgeous creation. And the shimmery splatters are the piece de resistance. Absolutely adore that wonderful addition.. so subtle and yet so brilliant!

Lynette said...

Leslie - you could use ANYTHING to paint or color and it would look totally amazing!!! What a beauty this is.

Lynette said...

Leslie - you could use ANYTHING to paint or color and it would look totally amazing!!! What a beauty this is.

Donna Ellis said...

oh my goodness - Leslie - how jaw-dropping beautiful. First of all, I love that golden halo around the "œuvre d'art" in your floral spray. Sigh - loveliness. Perhaps your backyard garden has been disappointing with the poor weather, but your artwork grows more bountifully beautiful each day. And that's a treat for the rest of us. I DO have H20s AND Mica watercolors - and want to get them out as well. As organized as my room is, I simply FORGET about all the wonderful play things in my stash. However, I DID get my tombows out last week and thoroughly enjoyed them. Hopefully I will use them more often.

If my eyes have "glazed over" it is only because of the gorgeousness in your painting. Glazed over because I want to keep on looking. Thanks for teaching me to use the vibrant golds as a halo - for some reason, I never thought to use them. Certainly they bring out the sunshine of a scene! Wishing you a great week. hugs, de

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card Leslie. I have Twinkling H2Os but wondered do tbey go out of date x