Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Double D Challenge: Black and White with a Pop of Color

Warning:  This pop of color might pop your eyes out!  It's Team Darlene's turn to bring you another Double D Challenge, and today it's Black and White with a Pop of Color.  Really, if you took the hot pink backdrop away this photo might not be quite so poppin', but lately I've been feeling like adding a little (or a lot) of color to my photos.  I might get over it eventually, but for now I'm enjoying it.




See our inspiration board below.  Not quite as bright as my card.




I've had these Dee's Distinctively Retro Cats dies for quite a while and they've remained "not yet used" until now.  It's not for lack of trying.  You see, I was very disappointed to find the die does not cut out the eyes even though it appears as such on the product package.  There's an eye opening in the die which is meant to emboss, but I'm afraid it doesn't do much of that, either.  They just don't have quite the personality without eyes, and my previous efforts to create eyes for them were unsuccessful.  However, a light bulb blinked on this time:

I cut the cats in white card stock, left them in the die, then traced the eye opening with a very fine (.005) black Prismacolor marker.  I did my best to give them eye slits, then colored each cat body with a black Copic marker, being very careful around the eyes.  Now I love, love, LOVE these cats!




The rest was a matter of dolling it up with flowers, ribbon, rhinestones, sequins.  All the flowers were cut in white and colored with Copics.  I dotted their rumps with a white gel pen.  The sentiments are from an Inkadinkado set.  Everything will be listed in the recipe.

We'd love to see what you do with our "Black and White with a Pop of Color" challenge.  Team Darlene and Team Diane, both, have inspiring samples for you, so POP over to Double D and check them out.  Have a purrrfect day!



Stamps:  Inkadinkado "Cats" clear stamp set  Paper:  Neenah 110 lb white, ancient Hot Off the Press gingham designer paper  Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, SU Pink Passion, Copics  Accessories:  Ribbon, sequins, rhinestones, Signo uniball white gel pen  Dies:  Dee's Distinctively Retro Cats 2, Die-namics Stitched Rectangle Frames, Poppystamps Flower Stack

26 comments:

Hannelie said...

I LOVE this Leslie! Perfectly bright and beautifully balanced design!

Glenda said...

As always you are up for the challenge! I love the cats and the pop of color is bright and very cheerful! I don't think it's too bright by any means!

Ros Crawford said...

Fabulous card! Love the eyes too... You did a perfect job there Leslie and your backdrop is terrific!!

Darlene said...

This is an awesome creation Leslie and I happen to be enjoying your very coloring photography! LOL WOW that's a real shame about the die ... but you've done an AMAZING job of rectifying the issue! And, what a fabulous job on the eyes ... they are perfect! WELL DONE YOU!!!! I wouldn't have thought to do that ... you are so clever! Have a great day!

Diane said...

Wow, I love these kitty cats and you made them 'pop' with your fabulous idea of the eyes!! Once in awhile I get a die I am a bit disappointed in too....a FABOLOUS card with all your pretty, pretty details! and I do love your backdrops too!

Donna Ellis said...

Woohoo! Kitties! I love my kitties, and I love yours, too! Our cat is black, with a touch of white on her toes. My favorites are the black kitties. Not sure why, but I enjoy animals with black fur. No, I was never into "goth" LOL. Even when we had cows, we preferred the black ones. This card is one of the cutest ever! Love your happy felines, and the gorgeous hint of magenta to pop the checkerboard background. This card HAD to be fun to create - I love everything about it, Leslie, right down to the feline collars and the sweet spots on their hineys. Your retro flowers also bring back the memories! Back in high school, we decorated the interior of my friend's VW with those "psychedelic" flowers LOL It was fun! REALLY great card, Leslie! Thanks for the Wednesday Morning smiles. xx PS I hope you do not "get over" making your colorful backgrounds. The colors remind me of your amazing garden. Sprinkle a little color where'ere you go. xx

aussie aNNie said...

WOW just love this card, the bright pink is really gorgeous.xx [aNNie]

Lynette said...

Another amazing card, Leslie. Great idea for the eyes - you are so clever. And, who would have thought about dotting the rumps:) They look awesome! Fabulous card.

nancy littrell said...

So clever the way you made your "Cat eyes", Leslie. Really eye popping card with the addition of your hot pink! TFS your really fun card. Hugs..

Yogi said...

nice card. cats are so cute. Have a great day

Kathy Krug said...

I love your solution for the problem and the cats are so cute now. Love how you used the hot pink accents.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Leslie, I love these cats and love how managed to give them such adorable eyes! I love them and love the fabulous layout! Love the sweet flowers and how this card really reminds me of the sixties when hot pink with black were so "in" -- way back when! Hehe! Adorable and such a fun card. And I love your "hot" background...it fits this card to a tee! Hugs!

Vicki said...

Fabulous card, Leslie! Your coloring on the cats and flowers is so great! Their eyes are perfect. Love the bright pink with the black/white combo.

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I'm not a big fan of cats but these are cute! I also like the pop of color. Love the white, black and pink! The details are great - especially the eyes!

Evelyn S. said...

That is a very ambitious card, Leslie! I agree that the cats wouldn't be the same without those great eyes, but I would never think of doing what you did. Love the retro design and the hot pink...although I am not a cat fan at all. :-)

Pauline said...

Fabulous card Leslie! I love how you did the eyes, very cleaver! The hot pink really makes this pop!
Great design and love the black check background paper - just love everything about this!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow you had a lot of detail work to do there but wow what a difference it is to have the eyes that's for sure. I love the retro feel to this, when I first saw it I thought of the 50's with the poodle skirts and black and pink clothes, your flowers are so cute and I love that little bow too. The wave in the sentiment just tops it off perfectly!

laurie said...

Love the retro look...your pop of color is a perfect choice. Such a sharp looking card!

Carol L said...

The hot pink color looks so cute with these purring kitties! I love the checkered frame with those polka dotted flowers and the cats are too cute to describe! What a wonderful card for a cat-lover to receive!

Sherri said...

OMG! I LOVE these cats! What a brilliant idea to fix the "eye" problem! I love the bright hot pink accents! Perfect to make the rest of the card just pop!

pam said...

Wow am not a cat person really Leslie, but these are fantastic kitties, perfect eye`s you have manage to give them, well worth your effect, what a gorgeous hot pink colour you have used, looks beautiful with black & white.
Hugs Pam x

Margaret said...

You are so amazing. Your work is amazing. I can't believe that you colored in those cats except for the eyes! They are perfect! The whole card is fabulous. Love the hot pink with the black/white.

Judy Woodland said...

Well this little card just makes me smile. I love the pink and black, and those cats are just so cool. The black and white gingham is perfect along with the polka dot flowers. So stinkin' CUTE!!!

Stacy Morgan said...

This is too cute and that pink is bright. I always like a splash of color with black and white. Cute cute!

Amelia Breytenbach said...

Your card is amazing and so cheerful Leslie! I love all the trimmings and the way you have put it all together. The hot pink with the black and white are also beautiful.

Donna Phelan said...

FABULOUS! I love that POP of color, it really wakes you up lol Those cats look awesome. Your flowers, sequins and itty bitty bow are the PURRfect accents! Too cute!