Thursday, July 27, 2017

Anniversary Birds

Hello, there!  It's time I finish up these anniversary cards for a friend.  One more to go.  I'm sure glad she's not in a hurry for them.

I accomplished a couple of things with this card -- I tried a new-to-me technique (the wood-look background) and used a not-yet-used embossing folder (the music score).  My wood background looks like someone turned a three year old loose with a paint brush and a can of stain, but I still love it.




When I saw Kathy Krug's background on this card I knew I'd have to try it.  Now I'm wondering if I'll ever get around to using all that wood grain designer paper I have, because this is so easy and turns out fantastic.

Score white paper every half inch and swipe two or three shades of ink straight down.  The embossing after scoring is optional.  I scored, swiped two shades of brown, then embossed and swiped the third, darkest brown.  Make sense?  Kathy sent me a link to the video where she learned the technique:  Weathered Wood Background

I may try it in a color next time, like old paint.




The rest is die cuts and the music-embossed oval and one little sentiment.  I colored the flowers with Copic markers and used both white Nuvo drops and Glossy Accents for enhancement.  All details are in the recipe below.

I'm onto the next coloring project which needs to be finished soon for mailing.  It's not always easy to find time for stamping in the summer, but we somehow find time for the things we love, right?  See you again soon.  Till then... wishing you a happy day!


Stamps:  Crafty Secrets Bird Notes sentiment  Paper:  Neenah 110 lb white, SU So Saffron and Old Olive  Ink:  Ranger Distress Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, and Walnut Stain, CTMH Parchment (on embossed music score), SU More Mustard to sponge bird's wings, Copics for coloring  Accessories:  Nuvo Gloss Simply White Crystal Drops, Inkssentials Glossy Accents, Sizzix Elegant Bouquet embossing folder, Darice Sheet Music embossing folder  Dies:  Spellbinders Elegant Ovals and Classic Ovals, Elizabeth Craft Birds, Poppystamps Sylvan Sprig, Memory Box Saraphine Laurel

17 comments:

Glenda said...

Your wood background has intrigued me! I'm on my way to check out the link. I loved it on your card and just look at those sweet little bird dies you used! They are just adorable!

Diane said...

Can't even say enough about this 'tweet~tweet' card! The background turned out amazing and I am always looking for 'wood' background papers and never seem to find them, so will have to try this and different colors is a great idea! Love those cute bird dies and all the other accents...fabulous card!

Stacy Morgan said...

This is very sweet anniversary card and I am sure she will wait however long it takes you to create Leslie. The wood background looks great, I giggled at the 3 year old comment. Thanks for the link as I might have to give this technique a try as well. Very sweet card.

Donna Ellis said...

ooooooh! I love your rustic vibrance in the colors, and the amount of “white” showing between the planks - like sunshine coming through from the back side. Your little bird dies are so sweet, and the flowers look real with the amount of coloring! Beautiful card, Leslie - I've sent an email asking a question about the dark brown flowers xx

Lynette said...

Gorgeous, Leslie! Love the background and all of the wonderful dies. What I think I like best, though, are the delicate little purple flowers.

Ros Crawford said...

The wood looks terrific! Fabulous card and you ought be really pleased with your super attempt at this technique ... Loving the birds!

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

What a neat technique!! I watched the video and it really looks easy - yeah!! Gina K suggested using a color ink - such as painted wood - which I think would be cool. Love your little birds and of course I'm partial to the music notes!

nancy littrell said...

TFS your beautiful wood grain anniversary card, Leslie. I have done this technique in the past, but you make me want to use it again. Love all your pretty flowery details, sweet birds and sentiment. TFS the links also. Hugs..

Kathy Krug said...

Glad you took this technique out for a spin. Love that embossed music score under the the wreath and the pretty flowers and birds and sentiment. Great design.

Yogi said...

cute. It's a redwood background BIG GRIN. Don't forget wood is every color under the rainbow... Love all the little die cuts and assembly. Have a great day

Margaret said...

Wow! It's just gorgeous. You did a fabulous job on the wood background. I'm really going to have to try that technique. I never seem to have wood paper when I want it. Love the flowery frame around the oval with the music. It's all just so creative and beautiful.

Pam Sparks said...

Fabulous Leslie! Love all the elements that make your creation amazing!

Conniecrafter said...

Your friend is going to love it, before you shared the link I was going to tell you about Gina's background but then see that is what she shared with you, she has done that technique in quite a few of her posts. I bought some wood backgrounds and barely have used them, don't know what I am saving them for. Love how you framed this and the birds are so cute, love the swirls they have, beautiful flowers too! I had to laugh at your 3 year old statement being left alone with a paint brush and stain.

Sherri said...

Wow! I LOVE that background technique! It looks amazingly like the real thing! And your birds are so beautiful nestled among the leaves & flowers! That musical embossing behind them was a brilliant idea! Gorgeous card!

laurie said...

I'm putting that background on my list of things to try! It sounds fun and really looks great on your card. Love the dies you used..cute birds!

Pauline said...

Oh Leslie, this is gorgeous! Love the technique, must give this a try. Love all the die cuts, embossed musical notes and those little flowers are so sweet. A wonderful anniversary card!

Hannelie said...

Love every perfect little detail!