Thursday, September 14, 2023

Flowers and Critters and Life in General

Hi, friends.  I haven't had much time to be in my stamp room or the computer and so I'm stopping in to let you know what's going on at our house.  All is well with The Millers, so no worries there, but a friend had a serious life event and we're lending a helping hand.

First a peek at some September garden glamour... pink Amaryllis:



Next is the Butterfly bush.  We cut it down to the ground, thinking it was old and giving up, but it grew back into a beautiful bush with magnificent blooms that lend a heavenly scent to that corner of the garden.  The butterflies are fluttering around in swarms but, sorry, none in this picture.  We have mostly Painted Ladies this time of year.   Did you know that a group of butterflies is often referred to as a kaleidoscope?  I like that better than swarm.



Here's Wally, handsome and fluffy as ever.  He can't walk far or stand long before his legs give out, but he still loves life.



For the last several days we've been taking care of our friend's Goldendoodles.  We walk the block and a half to his house at the end of the street where we give the dogs breakfast, tend the flowers and veggies -- watering and harvesting -- houseplants, too.  We let the dogs out to explore their own yard for a while, then we walk them to our house where they spend the afternoon.  In the picture below you see Lynus howling for his human.  He did that quite a lot on the first day.  Our friend had never seen Lynus howl before, so I took the pic to show him.  Wally is looking on from across the room.  Sadly, Wally no longer has strong enough air to howl.



After the first day Lynus gave up the howling and decided to try and be happy.  In the picture below we're in our friend's yard.  Lynus is eagerly waiting for the next toss of the tennis ball.




Here's Bailey playing tug of war with Rich.  The smallest raggedy scrap that was once a stuffie is the best toy in the basket.   I've loved both of these dogs since puppyhood.



Back home again... Rich was painting some trim and Wally always has to be close to the action.  He burrowed through the branches of the azalea bush and peeked out at the world.



Little did Wally know that this kitty critter was peeking at him from the other side.  This cat has become a frequent visitor.  I think he/she lives down the street, but we're becoming friends.  I told him as long as he doesn't get my birds and squirrels he's welcome to visit.



The Three Amigos at our house.  We're planning to get a new sofa, but this is just so perfect for three big dogs.  Where did I sit?  I didn't.



The last pic is Bailey at our friend's house on the first night.  He looks mournful, but part of that is just his personality.  He's a mega-sweetheart.  Love.



I wish with all my heart that LuLu was in these pictures.

It will be a few days yet before our friend is home.  As I write this he is recovering (I hope) from quadruple bypass surgery.  Someone was supposed to call, but we've heard nothing.

My visits to blog friends will be delayed and brief for a while.  I'll stay in touch as much as possible.  Priorities.  You understand.  It's good to have friends, but even better to be a friend.




19 comments:

Glenda said...

What a lovely post my friend. So nice to see pictures of what's going on in your world. How wonderful that you are helping your friend in need and those lovely creatures. Seeing pictures of Wally always makes me happy and I too miss LuLu! Have a great weekend.

Marcia Hill said...

Looks like those pups have the best care givers for as long as needed, and I love, LOVE the pic of all 3 on the couch! Sweet pictures Leslie and thank you for sharing them...although they do make me miss my Daisy and Brinkley!! Beautiful garden pics too! Take care my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Diane said...

You have to know I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!! Goldendoodles, a Golden Retriever and a kitty, what can steal my heart more...NOTHING!! I loved all the pictures, gorgeous flowers, gorgeous pups and a pretty kitty to top it all off. What a great neighbor and friend you are!! I just read on a blog where someone that has a golden is taking in another one named Lulu, I immediately thought of you!! Have fun and bless you for stepping in!!!

Carolyn L said...

Best wishes for your friend's speedy recovery. He and his beautiful dogs could have no better care than by a loving family like yours...especially dear Wally. You all make the world a much better place.

Margaret said...

What sweet-looking pups - all of them. Love seeing Wally of course. You are such great friends to help out your neighbor in a time of need. Your flowers look amazing. Sadly the weather has been so hot here that the Monarchs are not settling in here as they used to but moving further north where the weather is a bit cooler.
Looking forward to some cooler weather here soon.

I Card Everyone said...

Oh, Leslie, this is just the kind of post that I love -between cards, that is!
Fabulous friends of friends and Wally - Gorgeous PINK amaryllis a FIRST for me! So glad you found new life from your Butterfly Bush! Was it a Springtime haircut, or Fall? Ours could use a boost.
Your photos are topnotch, as are your friendship skills!
=]

HilaryJane said...

It is so nice that you are able to help out your friend by looking after his dogs. Thanks for sharing all those photos. It is always nice to see a little glimpse of life outside card making. Wishing you friend a speedy recovery from that major surgery. So sad to see his dogs missing him so much xx

Bobbi-spapertrail.blogspot.com said...

Such a beautiful post Leslie. Pups, kitties, flowers, sunshine and the beautiful love of friendship. What else is there? I smiled BIG at Wally peeking through those flowers. Melts my heart. Lulu was there... you could feel her I'm sure, because I felt her all the way over here. XO

Bonnie said...

Sounds like you are fun busy, Leslie! I enjoyed the pictures of the pups and Wally! Your butterfly bush is amazing! The flower is about 6 times the size of ours! And the pink amaryllis is jaw dropping! I didn't realize they have pink blooms or that many blooms in one place. I wish we could grown them here. Your garden is so lush and beautiful and I love that you share it with us!

nancy littrell said...

Love all the neighborly photos of your friends beautiful sweet companions..so sorry to hear about his open heart surgery, but what a relief that he does not have to worry about how they are being loved and taken care of:-) Friends and friendly neighbors are so important and appreciated:-) The photo of Wally and his 2 friends is so precious and I know Lulu would have loved to be there too and is smiling from dog heaven:-) TFS your outdoor photos too. We have been so busy too..me harvesting veggies and berries and then processing and saving in the freezer or cool garage. I hope to drop by in the near future for a little visit and sharing:-) Denny is working on painting the outside of the house:-) Our Fall vacation starts Nov 5th...Can't wait!!!! TFS the Miller family update, my dear friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Lynette said...

Thanks for all the photos, Leslie. Beautiful flowers and fun pictures of the dogs. So nice of you to care for your friend's house and the dogs. Best wishes to him on his recovery!

Loll said...

I enjoyed every word and photo in your post - very uplifting, Leslie. Those special visitors look right at home at your place with Wally. What a lovely bunch! You and Rich are providing such comfort to them in confusing times. All the best for your friend's recovery from quadruple bypass, I know what that is like. Take care. Oh, and beautiful shorts of your gorgeous flowers - WOW! Love, Loll

crafty-stamper said...

Wishing your friend a speed recovery and it must help knowing his dogs and house are being well looked after-love all the pics and the one of them all on the sofa-gorgeous black cat three of ours are black too.Commenting are the least of your worries we will still be here fingers crossed when your life is back to normal
carol x

Conniecrafter said...

Oh I sure hope that your friend is doing well and will recover quickly from his surgery, I know how much our furbabies miss us when we aren't around and the normal routine is off, it is so great they have you all to take care of them instead of having to go to a kennel.
Wish Wally could do more but I am sure he is happy just being with you all, even his friends :)

Cat Craig said...

Oh what a great bunch of critters and yard pics, thanks for sharing the goings on. Hugs.

Cindy Beach said...

It did my heart good to read your post, learn of your kindness and see every beautiful photo. It's like a peek into your life right now and it sure made me smile. Except the one of Lynus howling. Dogs are wonderful and you and Rich are terrific humans!

Ida said...

Always nice to see what is happening in your neck of the woods. Wow your flowers are gorgeous. That butterfly bush is especially pretty. So loved seeing Wally and (I miss Lulu) too. - How fun to have house doggies visiting. They were cute too and so was that kitty visitor.

Evelyn S. said...

I love this post...and these wonderful photos! We just returned from Hillsboro where our son's family just added a 3-month-old Goldendoodle pup. Her name is Buttermilk Biscuit (I do believe Ava, our granddaughter, chose the name!) Buttermilk is caramel colored and joins the family's black Goldendoodle, Chloe Chainsaw, who had her 10th birthday when we were there. Oh, a pup! Our son is working diligently to train her, and she's doing well, but she's a barker. Chloe didn't bark as a pup.

It's so kind of you to care for the dogs for your neighbor; I hope the bypass is healing well.

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

Nice company for Wally. (I think you and Rich may have a good time too).