Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Ultra-Simple Sympathy and Get Well

A person sure can make a lot of cards quickly when you keep it ultra-clean and simple.  I recently made six or eight sympathy cards... I don't know... I've lost track.  One of them wound up in the garbage and I didn't photograph all of them.  I was in a hurry to finish up a batch I was giving to a friend.  There were two of these.



My friend likes crafty cards and there's not a lot of crafting in this design, but I think she'll like the butterflies.  I layered two of the Memory Box Waltzing Butterflies and glued onto a Neenah 110 lb card base.  The Power Poppy Soothing Sympathy sentiment was stamped in SU's Taken With Teal.

The second card has a touch more going on, but still very simple seeing as how I pulled out some leftover card parts for it -- an uninspiring brayered ink panel and three white "get well" sentiments.



Let's see if I can make it sound as easy as it really was:

  • Cut white panel 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
  • Position Memory Box Florina Corner and Impression Obsession Get Well Soon dies on panel.  Run through die cutting machine.
  • Glue negative die cut panel to brayered background.
  • Glue positive die cuts into negative space.  Layer two more Get Well Soon sentiments.
  • Glue assembled panel onto A2 card front.

I added two little butterflies from the Impression Obsession Butterfly Set and sparkled them up with Stickles Stardust glitter glue.  All done!

I don't know how much of the eclipse you saw in your area, but here the sun got down to a little sliver.  It's amazing how much light that little sliver puts out.  It was an unusual sort of light, not at all the same as the sun going behind a cloud.  Imagine how scary it must have been for folks in earlier days.  The sky darkens, the temperature drops, the breeze goes still.  It's pretty amazing when you think how the moon revolves around the earth, the earth rotates and revolves around the sun, and even with all that action going on everything still lines up for an eclipse.  Wow.

Wishing you all good health and happiness.  Have a wonderful day!


19 comments:

Glenda said...

I love both of these! There is just something about the clean and simple butterfly card that speaks to me. Also the brayered background looks interesting and the die cuts on that one really caught my eye. Both cards are amazing and I would never try to just pick a favorite!

Ros Crawford said...

Wow! How gorgeous your cards are... I love that brayered BG!

Pauline said...

Wow, love them both! Simplicity at it's best. The butterfly card is so clean and pretty, perfect for a sympathy card- again white on white I just love. The second card - love the brayered background and the positive die cut put back into the die cut negative spot - very interesting effect. I know your friend will love both. Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful day.

Donna Ellis said...

Leslie, even your CAS look technique-laden and gorgeous! Your friend will definitely appreciate them. Fantastic idea about inking the background and popping up the positive portion of the sentiment! Your w/w sympathy is really beautiful. Glad I'm not the only one who makes use of the trash can when creating and experimenting. Wishing you a great day, Leslie! xx

Darlene said...

I'm in awe once again! Both cards are just beautiful for being 'ultra simple' as you say! I need to get busy and make up some 'packs' of ultra-simple cards like this for my September Country Club show ... I think they would be well received.
Yes the eclipse was amazing and weird all at the same time! When I think about what all is going on out in outer space, it blows my mind! Pretty COOL when you think about it!! HUGS and HAPPY DAY my friend!

Yogi said...

nice couple of cards. Have a great day

nancy littrell said...

Simply beautiful die cut CAS designs with wonderful sentiments. Both cards qualify for this months Poppystamps blog challenge...borders. TFS Leslie. Hugs

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I love these cards especially the butterfly one! I'm sure your friend will like them as well! Simply and Clean does the treat as they say!

pam said...

Two beautiful elegant CAS cards Lesley, perfect sympathy card, both using wonderful die cuts and colours.
Hugs Pam x

Mildred said...

Lovely cards, Leslie. You line things up so perfectly! We had a full view of the eclipse as we sat on the patio. I expected the darkness to be totally dark, but it was more light bright moonlight. However the yard lights did come on. Thanks for all you share with us.

Evelyn S. said...

These are gorgeous cards, Leslie! Gorgeous! The all-white simple sympathy card is such a beautiful creation; it's a wonderful inspiration for that card genre. And I love the "get well" card with the underlying color. Beautiful work, as always.

Margaret said...

How exciting that you got to see a real spectacular eclipse. Here not so much. We had a pretty cloudy day too so it was hard to tell when the eclipse happened. Your cards are what is really spectacular. So gorgeous both of them.

Conniecrafter said...

These are both just beautiful, and great for mailing too! I love the freshness to the first one and the pretty background peeking out from the dies on the second, great touch with the sparkle on the butterflies!!
Yes that was an amazing eclipse and yes it was really weird the cool winds that came after too!

CherylQuilts said...

Leslie, these are both gorgeous! I love the CAS one at the top and think the sentiment is perfect with the butterflies. And the second one is fabulous with the brayered background with the amazing die...and I love the "get well soon" die with it. Beautifully done! I know what you mean about needing more and more cards. Never ends, but it's fun to make them! We experienced some of the eclipse, and it was fascinating to see the difference in the lighting and even the temperature. Walt made us a little DIY viewer to see the crescent image. It's amazing! Hugs!

Sherri said...

Both of these are just gorgeous! LOVE the way you used your dies to make them so quick & simple. You always give me such inspiration! I'm glad you got to see the eclipse! I think I was one of the few people in Lincoln that didn't get to. My end of town had a lot of cloud cover right as it happened and I saw nothing! What a waste of my glasses! Had I known it was going to fizzle, I would have driven to the other side of town where they all got a perfect view!

Diane said...

Beautiful cards, they might be quick but they are still gorgeous! We had about 81% of the eclipse here, making it a little eerie out, I was at Michael's (or just going in the store) when it hit, I was amazed at how many people were looking directly up at it when they were warned not too. I kept my sun visor down on my card as not to take any chances lol!

Linda said...

I love both of your cards! The clean and simple designs are perfect for for sympathy or get well cards. We had about 70% coverage here in New York during the eclipse so it didn't really get dark and there was no dramatic change in temperature. However, I know exactly what you mean about the light being different -- a bit eerie if you asked me. And the shadows were fascinating! I am saving my glasses for 2024 and already planning to be in the zone of totality!

Lynette said...

That second card is beautiful, but I'm especially drawn to the total simplicity of the first card. Awesomely done, Leslie!

Karen Dunbrook said...

such pretty card...so elegant.
tfs,
Karen