Saturday, May 4, 2024

Relaxing with Penny Black Saturday Challenge


Hello friends, and welcome!  In this merry month of May I have the privilege of being the guest designer for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge.  That's way fun for me because Penny Black stamps are my favorites!



As always the challenge is "anything goes", but the optional theme this month is "Pastels".  I did not go with the optional theme this time around.

I worry that some of my favorite PB critter characters will fade into the background as the newest releases seem to favor a different style, so I bought a few sets, including this guy:



I colored on watercolor paper with Tombow markers and have him relaxing on the beach after his birthday party.  The designer paper overhead suggests the waterline, and he's gathered a starfish and shell to take home as souvenirs.



He'll be sent to a guy friend who loves the beach.  I've stamped a Penny Black sentiment inside with more of that water lapping at the lower edge.



Many thanks to the PBSC crew for having me this month!  Do stop by the challenge blog to see the team samples.  They're always fun and inspiring.

Have a beautiful day!




Stamps:  Penny Black Relax and Birthday Love  Paper:  Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140 lb hot pressed watercolor, scrap designer paper  Ink:  Palette Noir  Coloring:  Tombow markers and a little bit of blender  Other:  Impression Obsession Mini-Shell Set



23 comments:

Birgit said...

This couldn't be any cute and more fitting for a gentleman who likes to relax on the beach. Your coloring is always inspiring!! Congrats on your guest designer spot!! They picked a winner in you!

Katrina Bufton said...

A fabulous card - your colouring is great and I love the layout. Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot x

Yogi said...

beautifully done. Cute bear. Love the saying on the inside. Have a great day

Marcia Hill said...

Awwwwwwww...sure looks like this little guy had a great birthday Leslie! He is just too CUTE and I'm always amazed at how you get your Tombow markers to blend so perfectly! Sweet, sweet card my friend and congrats on your GD spot...a perfect fit!! Hugs. :0)

Helen said...

Oh Leslie...I love your card!
That relaxing bear is adorable, and I love the way you used the patterned paper!
Thanks so much for guest designing for us this month!
Helen x

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Oh my! what a cutie! I love their stamps and this little bear celebrating is adorable. I think the DSP is perfect for the breach theme and the sentiment is so true! I'm sure your friend will love it! Have a great weekend!

I Card Everyone said...

Oh, my goodness, Leslie! He is just about the cutest, chill bear I've ever seen! Does he always live on this RELAX or did you mask and put him there?
Congratulations on being a Penny Black design guest - such an honor that is well deserved!
=]

HilaryJane said...

Congrats on your GD spot. This card is a beauty and perfect for your friend. that bear definitely looks relaxed xx

Barbara said...

I am tickled pink with this card! It is just too adorable. You sure came up with a creative way to use it. I love it! Another great inspiration from you!

Lynette said...

Super wonderful coloring, Leslie!! Another awesome card. I like Penny Black stamps, too, but I'm not much for coloring so they are not really for me. :-)

Lisa Elton said...

A big congrats on guest designing, Leslie! I'm so happy you gave this fabulous furry fella the spotlight today! I just love his chillax attitude and the inside sentiment!

crafty-stamper said...

Love the really cute image and shaped paper strops.
Carol x

Cat Craig said...

Oh this is a PERFECT GUY CARD. The coloring of that super fun image is lovely as usual. I enjoy the wavy stripes at the cards top and that sentiment is fantastic.

Sue from Oregon said...

You managed to make a super fun manly card with this cute little bear by using your design and your color choice. Who would have thunked it!? I just love your cards Leslie and I am soooo excited to have you joining us at PBSC! 💕Sue Kment

Bonnie said...

WOW! What awesome coloring, Leslie! You use those Tombows so well! Love this bear relaxing on the beach. He can't help but make anyone smile! Congratulations on your Guest Designing spot, my friend!

Christine Alexander said...

Now that's my kind of relax- at the beach with a cold drink :)
Awesome colouring ♥

Helen said...

What a fun card Leslie. I love this cute bear chilling after his party! It's great to have you join us as a Guest Designer! Enjoy your weekend! :)

Diane said...

Absolutely adorably cute!! The papers are perfect and I actually thought you had water colored them, just as nice on the inside as the out, but that bear takes the cake!! Another fabulous card!!

Margaret said...

Fabulous card. I love the wavey dp you used. It really sets the tone for the image and is perfect for the inside of the card.

Joan B said...

adorably cute!!!!

Conniecrafter said...

Congrats on Guest designer!!! I love this little guy laying back and enjoying his special day, I like the touches of the wave background, the sand and the shells to go with, just perfect for your friend!

Vicky Hayes said...

Congratulations on being chosen as guest designer for Penny Black Leslie! What a fabulous card you have made too. I love the wavy designer paper and the clever way you used it. It makes the perfect shoreline for this cute bear taking it easy after finding shells for his collection! Vicky x

Loll said...

Sweet! Your colouring of that relaxing bear is AWESOME! Love that he is resting on the RELAX sign. Great card, my friend. xx