Friday, February 23, 2018

Three Degrees of Simplicity

Last Sunday our weather turned from a beautiful false spring to a blustery mix of hail and snow, dark and, at times, quite stormy.  I can't bring myself to say it was gloomy, as I do enjoy the drama of an occasional stormy day, especially when viewed through the window of my cozy stamp room.  So that's where I spent the day.  All day, no kidding.  It was a rare treat and a perfect day for making Christmas cards.

I started with this card:




It has a glossy card stock base with ink sponge-rubbed directly onto it -- SU's Brilliant Blue and Bliss Blue.  Clapped wet hands over it to make the splatters.  Learned that trick from Pam Sparks.  Thanks, Pam!  Laid a napkin over the wet splatters, then lifted and this is the result.

Next, layered a snowflake background, then a stitched frame, bird, foliage, Noel.  The noel was cut from another piece of inked glossy card stock, the bird from silver glitter paper.  Most of the dies are layered for dimension.  I think you can see some of it in the photo.




Hmmm... too much work to repeat, so I made the next one simpler.  A base of white wood grain card stock with a smaller inked panel.  On this one I stamped a few snowflakes with Versamark ink, then rubbed on the Brilliant Blue.  Did the hand-clapping splatters.  A bit much, but it makes the single color background more interesting.  The Noel is cut from red mirrored card stock.  Note the leafy branch:  It's cut from the same wood grain card stock, but on the reverse side.  This way the white matches, but the texture contrasts.




The third card is simpler still.  The white is Neenah 110 lb.  I used a Sizzix wood grain embossing folder for the background.  The Noel is glossy card stock, inked with Brilliant Blue, no splatters.




After I finished the Christmas cards I immediately made two cards all springy fresh and pink.  I'll pop in with those next week.

Everything I used on these three cards is listed in the recipe below my signature.  Are you making Christmas cards yet?  I know, it's hard, but will be worth it later.  Have a happy day!


Stamps:  SU Serene Snowflakes  Paper:  Glossy white, Georgia Pacific Premium white, wood grain white, Neenah 110 lb white, silver glitter card stock, red mirroed card stock, black  Ink:  SU Brilliant Blue, Bliss Blue, Melon Mambo, BlackBerry Bliss (the last two are on the Noel, card #1)  Accessories:  Sizzix wood grain embossing folder  Dies:  Memory Box Scattered Snowflake Background, Die-namics Stitched Rectangle Frames, Memory Box Airin Bird Background, Paper Smooches Foliage 1, SU Wonderful Wreath Framelits

22 comments:

Glenda said...

I loved your card at first glimpse and then I started reading about how you did thew background! I will have to give that one a try! We have been having record breaking temps approaching 80 degrees! It's nuts to have to turn on the air conditioning this time of year!

Pauline said...

I must say I envy your full day of creativity. Your cards are all fabulous, I love how you did the first card, I will have to try the splatter technique on glossy paper - love the results. These are all so festive and each unique. I haven't started any Christmas cards for this year yet, actually I haven't had the chance to even stamp the last 2 weeks. Thanks for the inspiration today, I always love seeing what you create. Looking forward to seeing your 'springy' cards next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Karen Dunbrook said...

beautiful cards Leslie....
xx Karen

laurie said...

You are on a roll! Those backgrounds are SO dreamy...love the look you achieved. They are beautiful!!!!

Diane said...

I always learn some new things when I visit here, the clapping of wet hands over the inked background, well who knew...it sure is a beautiful result! All three cards are so pretty and so different, I like how you went from very loaded then down to CAS...so creative!! Our weather here is bad, we had 2 days of non stop rain and 6" of it which I forget how many trillions of water that created. Our town is badly flooded, our creek was about 3 times wider then if should of been but never reached the house. The river is normally 5 to 6 ft and it is at 18 feet right now, 2 of my kids live along it, but are okay, but some people and downtown..yikes!!

ChristineCreations said...

All so elegant Leslie, but I love the progression of change and still how beautiful the design elements are!

Darlene said...

These are all just beautiful with the bird, branch & sentiment. What a fabulous design base! Oh you've got to be kidding ... I never thought about clapping wet hands for the splatter ... what an awesome idea. Love when we can all share our fabulous little crafting finds. Thanks to you & Pam for this one! How nice that you have a start on your holiday cards ... well done!

Yogi said...

all lovely. Love the top one with that two toned Noel. Have a great day

Kathy Krug said...

What a fun idea. They are all beautiful and you have three Christmas cards done. Yea!!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

All three are so absolutely stunning! From the more complex to the simple they are great Christmas designs. I want to get back to making more Christmas cards again soon and these are an inspiration to me.

nancy littrell said...

The perfect stormy Wintery day for making Christmas cards:-) Then to finish your day with a couple of Spring cards (for a later post) sounds even more perfect:-) I loved all 3 of your Christmas card designs and how fun that they got more and more CAS:-)

I stamped on our stormy day:-) We do have fun. TFS, my friend. Hugs..

Evelyn S. said...

Three beautiful Christmas cards already! Fascinating technique to clap wet hands over the inked piece...I will have to try that. The stacked die cuts are so effective; there is a wonderful list of details on all the cards, Leslie.

pam said...

Three gorgeous Christmas cards Leslie, love the beautiful dies and colours.
Hugs Pam x

Conniecrafter said...

They are all so cool, love both styles of snowflake backgrounds, and that bird is so pretty using the sparkle paper, I like the look of coloring the glossy cardstock on the last sentiment too, such a pretty look, hopefully I can remember to try that one :) I only managed two Christmas cards this month, I know it isn't over yet but I am ready to move on, LOL!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

I do love a stormy day, the rain and occasional thunder really makes me feel humble and grateful but, when the day is gray and gloomy with nothing going on, it's really awful.
But like you said, these types of days are perfect to craft and we can see that on this trio of gorgeous and elegant cards Leslie.
Beautifully detailed, CAS and so lovely.
Love the "Clapping" Technique, never heard of it but I will most definitely try, the results are amazing.
Thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous cards and the link to the video.
XO
Maria.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful selection of cards love the background on your Christmas cards and great tip about clapping your hands when you try to drop it you get puddles-so thank you--love the CAS one too
Carol x

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Can't believe you are already making Xmas cards - you have inspired me! Love the details of the cards and how each one gets more CAS. Great technique - never heard of it, but I'm definitely going to try it. Love the look! Have a great weekend.

Stacy Morgan said...

We have had that same gloomy weather here, but I am happy that we aren't getting all the snow. The wind is making it feel like 3-8 degrees outside though, bbbbrrr... Great days to stay in I agree. These turned out darling. I like the simplicity with the die cut doing most of the work. Thanks for the hint on the background too. Might have to give that a try. You are getting some creations done. Woot woot!!

Traci M said...

Leslie, these are so beautiful!! I always like seeing your creative process. I can only imagine clapping over a card , and it’s a funny picture in my head...but if it produces these results, I will try it!! I also love the brilliant blue backdrop with the white and silver. We’ve had winter days that look just like this...which is why I’m okay with winter for now.

Cindy Beach said...

I am so glad you had a cozy day inside stamping. These are beautiful, Leslie! I love the shade of blue on the pretty background and the shiny silver bird. It is easy to make another card, and another once you have everything out, isn't it? Now you have three lovely cards to add to your Christmas stash - good for you!

Colleen Dietrich said...

These all look terrific, Leslie! Did you see that Papertrey Ink is doing a feature on their blog each week, with a similar feel (simple, a little more jazzy, way more jazzy)? I thought that you were playing along with them. :-) I always love to see how much more dressed up a card can get.

Hannelie said...

I am such a fan of you Leslie! This is so beautiful!

( we had a little bit of rain the last couple of days... Enjoying every moment of it, Sugar and I took our morning walk in a little drizzle!)
Hugs to you!