Monday, March 27, 2017

Vintage Easter

Welcome back!  I have a few more cards to share this week and I do hope you'll enjoy them.  Today it's an Easter card.  I don't buy many holiday-specific stamps, except Christmas, so I find myself hard pressed to come up with anything new.  However, I do have this Power Poppy digi stamp called Vintage Easter Egg, and because of its name I was inspired to turn it into a vintage card.

I recently printed several Power Poppy digis all in the same manner, with the color lightened and then a softening filter applied.  In this case I lightened and softened the image, but added the sentiment "full strength".




It was colored with Copic markers to coordinate with the Prima Romantique designer paper.  Notice the lady on the far right -- she appears to be wearing a fancy Easter bonnet.  I layered two patterns for the Sue Wilson Porto die, and the colored image was cut with an older Spellbinders Large Scalloped Oval die.

After coloring I did the cracked glass technique:  Thoroughly smooshed the image with Versamark ink, then embossed with ultra-thick embossing enamel.  Repeated once for extra coverage.  Put it in the freezer for a few minutes.  It curled, as it always does with this technique, and when I flattened it out it cracked.  I rubbed saffron ink into the cracks for a more aged look, then wiped off the excess with a soft cloth.



I counted up all my not-yet-used stamps the other day.  Have you ever done that?  I keep them separate so it's easy to see what needs attention.  Turns out, if I whittled away at the rate of three a week it would take six months to use each of them once, but realistically it will take longer.  I'm really trying to get a handle on this.  Your thoughts?

I'm going to link up to The Sisterhood of Crafters Lace Challenge today.  Thanks, Sisterhood!

I'll keep on stamping and check back with you later this week.  I'm so glad you stopped by.  Have a happy day!


Stamps:  Power Poppy Vintage Easter Egg digi  Paper:  X-Press It Blending Card, Very Vanilla, Bazzill blush, Prima Romantique designer paper  Ink:  Printer, Versamark, Saffron, Copics for coloring  Accessories:  Lace, ribbon, button, linen thread, ultra-thick embossing enamel, Sue Wilson Portuguese Collection - Porto die, Spellbinders Big Scalloped Ovals Large, Scotch brand foam mounting tape

21 comments:

Diane said...

Beautifully created vintage card. You know, out of all the holidays, vintage Easter decorations have always been my favorites, the decorated eggs, bunnies, chicks, Easter bonnets, not sure why, it just calls to me I guess. So I am especially drawn to this image and all your pretty details you have added. Someday I have to get a program where I can manipulate the digital images as it sure prints beautifully!
I have lots and lots of NBU stamps too (and keep adding to them)...I think it is a 'sickness' for me..lol...so guess I am no help to you!! I guess just use what appeals to you at the 'moment' as anything YOU do is always a pleasure to see!!

Joan B said...

Beautiful. I haven't seen the cracked glass technique used in ages! It is perfect with this image. I also have unused stamps, but not too many. After a bit of a buying binge, I've lost the desire to get new stamps, which is perfect. There is only so much space and time!

Pauline said...

ACK! Oh my this is gorgeous! A beautiful vintage card it is. Leslie, you have captured the 'vintage' feel to this card. The papers, lace, die cuts, colours and that little button just adds to the feel. I love the cracked egg - I haven't done this technique in years! Your coloured egg looks like a painting with your faint outlines - beautiful! I have so many unused stamps - I don't think I would ever get them all stamped. Thanks for posting today, I just love when you do. Have a Happy day as well.

Yogi said...

Very Pretty. Have a great day

Sherri said...

I love everything about this gorgeous card! Your coloring is always perfect and this just adds to all the beauty of it! Love the softness of the lace & the little added button! I'd never heard of the cracking technique but it is beautiful when finished so I may have to try it! You always inspire me!! I went for a long time & only bought digi stamps because they were cheaper & easier to store. Now I am back to buying rubber stamps again & can't seem to stop myself! So far, though, I only have one I haven't used yet!

laurie said...

What a beautiful vintage Easter card!!!!

pam said...

Such a beautiful image for an Easter Card Leslie, Wonderful dies cuts you have used.
Never purchased Digl stamps, Love my red rubber and clear stamps.
Hugs Pam x

Darlene said...

So beautiful Leslie and you know how I love vintage! I haven't done that cracked technique in ages ... thanks for inspiration and what a great idea! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘LACE’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

Ida said...

Love this. It's very "vintage" looking and perfectly feminine and frilly.

If you subscribe to my blog via e-mail for updates you may need to resign up as I recently switched e-mail addresses.

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Your vintage card reminds me of the old fashioned cards - very nice! I liked the technique that you used. I haven't seen it before. Have a great week!

Katie Sims said...

Leslie, this is just the dreamiest Easter card ever! I love the soft colors you chose to coordinate with your beautiful papers and that cracked glass technique is perfect here! You are the master of no line coloring...and this image is no exception! Absolutely beautiful! :)

Conniecrafter said...

absolutely Gorgeous and soft coloring, this is the perfect image for the cracked glass technique, I have this technique in my list of techniques to do again :) You found the perfect paper to use with this image too, beautiful framing and such lovely lace to top it all off!
Yes I have the stamps I haven't used in a separate container, most of them are from the stamp store yard sale, and between those and my new dies, it could probably be the same way for me too, I like to go back and forth from playing with my new goodies and then breaking out the really old goodies, keeps things interesting :)

Susie said...

It is the quiet life you live Leslie that brings forth the beauty both in your cards and garden. I can't think of a better technique for this lovely digi. And that bow?! Gorgeous coloring! As for your question -- Leslie, it is you that got me thinking about pairing down papers, as well as using what we have before purchasing more (she smiles). Thank you Leslie for sharing this beauty with us.
Hugs, Susie ~

Glenda said...

Oh, I always loved the cracked glass technique and it looks so pretty here! Very vintage feeling. Just a beautiful specimen!

Donna Ellis said...

Well, Miss Leslie - thank you so much for the tips about changing the strength of digital lines to create beautifully softened images! So Lovely - I have never seen anyone be able to control the shape of the "cracking" like you have! IT'S SO GORGEOUS! Love the vintage colors, and the lady wearing her vintage Easter hat. I recall a few years where we wore gloves, hats, and new Easter dresses, but then it seemed to wane from style - or at least in my parents' home it did.

Thanks for the art art lesson today! You are an incredible artist, and I say that honestly, and lovingly.
hugs,
de

Lynette said...

Ho-hum ... another amazingly wonderful card by Leslie. LOL! Great image, and such fabulous layers and embellishments.

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

Another awesome card. You never just put an image on paper, color it up and call it a day. I had forgotten all about the crackle technique and I'm getting a new frig tomorrow! Perfect!

Lisa Lara said...

Oh my Leslie, this is so amazing. It looks like an old vintage card that you saved away. Gorgeous. Love the cracking. WOW. PP is the best.

crafty-stamper said...

Love the vintage image and it looks great with the cracks and beautiful vintage look papers.
As for the forgotten stamps I have just sorted my dies and stamps-up to now I have found about four unused dies I had forgotten I had-and I have a card to post next week using an unused forgotten stamp I bought about three years ago!
Carol x

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful Easter card, that cracked glass looks wonderful. The lace trim is perfect touch!

CherylQuilts said...

Well, talk about being tardy with my commenting! But I did want to tell you how much I LOVED seeing this beautiful vintage Easter egg. It's amazing and so exquisitely colored with the cracked glass technique! You are so gifted, and thanks for sharing your work with us! Hugs!