Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Things that Fly -- A Double D Challenge

Hello, and welcome to another Double D challenge!  We're doing "Things that Fly" this time around, and the inspiration board has lots of options.  The nice thing about creating for a specific challenge is that it gets you to looking around your stamp room, and that's how I happened to use all old stamps on my card today.



The Stampendous butterflies are my first ever clear stamp set, dated 2004.  I would have guessed they were older.  2004 doesn't sound like so long ago, but 13 years...  I guess it's relative, 'cause, you know, the 70s don't seem like so long ago to me, either.

The butterflies are embossed in black -- once on the card and again cut out with the wings lifted.

I also used an old script background, old sentiment, some leaves I've had quite a while.  I even used some of my oldest Spellbinders dies.  All details are in the recipe further down.  The velvet ribbon was pulled from a drawer full of velvet ribbon that I hardly use anymore.  All good stuff!

I took inspiration from the black and white butterflies and the flower color in the board below:




The team will vote on favorites, but additionally a random winner will receive this prize:




I remembered to photograph the inside of the card, too:




Come on over to our "Things that Fly" challenge and see more team samples.  They're pretty amazing!  Have a good day!


Stamps:  Stampendous Butterflies, Hero Arts So Sorry (leaves), JustRite Sympathy sentiments, SU! retired En Francais background  Paper:  X-Press It Blending Card, SU! retired Cameo Coral  Ink:  SU! retired Ruby Red and Cameo Coral, Versamark, Versafine Onyx Black, Ranger Archival Shadow Grey  Accessories:  Velvet ribbon, black embossing powder, white embossing powder, Spellbinders Curved Rectangles Nestabilities (sentiment tab) and Parisian Accents (border)

24 comments:

Colleen Dietrich said...

Oh this hits all things I love: butterflies, leaves, "old" supplies, clean and simple style. Very well done, Leslie!

Darlene said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Leslie and very soothing. Love your overall design ... what a fabulous idea! And LOVE how you finished the inside ... PERFECT! I can ALWAYS find inspiration when I come to visit! Thanks for that and I hope you have a HAPPY DAY!!!

Diane said...

Beautiful card and design, full of lovely details but easy to mail, too...the years do seem to 'fly' by don't they....I feel it everyday!

Glenda said...

Oh one of my favorite things. Butterflies wonderful butterflies!

Donna Ellis said...

Leslie, I think this is one of the prettiest sympathy cards I've ever seen. So peaceful, caring, and pretty. It's obvious great love went into the creation of this masterpiece, knowing how you scoured old stamps, and took inspiration from the tile board. So beautiful, inside and out. hugs, de

Amelia Breytenbach said...

That is a beautiful card inside and out Leslie! Love the colors and the lovely design with the butterflies and leaves

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

I always have trouble making Sympathy cards, but this card is just lovely! I'm sure the recipient would appreciate your work, time and thoughts!

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful sympathy card. I love that wordy script and your leaf stamping, fab colors I might add! And your butterflies are delightful. Beautifully designed!

Kathy Krug said...

Beautiful sympathy card. Lots of beautiful details. The script background is perfect for the pink and black design. Striking.

Vicki said...

This is such an elegant, but simply stated card, Leslie! Beautiful design.

Yogi said...

pretty. Have a great day

aussie aNNie said...

A really pretty sympathy card, love it.xxx

Margaret said...

This is so elegant and beautiful. I love the black butterflies on your red/coral background. And no coloring! Fantastic!

nancy littrell said...

Your older stamps and inks look so beautiful and trendy with your beautiful design. Such a thoughtful design for a sympathy card. TFS my friend. Hugs..

Ros Crawford said...

What a stunner! So elegant and the inside is just as beautiful as the outside!

Sherri said...

Just goes to show you why some of our older stamps are worth keeping! This is gorgeous! One of the most beautiful sympathy cards I've seen in a long time! Love the way you offset the border die to show the pink! Awesome card, Leslie!

Evelyn S. said...

What a pretty card! I don't know what I would do without "older" stamps. You have certainly made good use of these.

Pam Sparks said...

Fabulous! Stunning! I love stamped collage! Gorgeous designing Leslie! I love it! I would never think to stamp in this pink but I am keeping my email to remind me to try it! :D

Linda Carson said...

Oh wow that's lovely Leslie! Such beautiful details from the lace to the border and embossing! Absolutely beautiful inside and out!

pam said...

That`s a stunning Sympathy card Lesley, love the beautiful stamps and colours you have used, perfect for a sad occasion.
Hugs Pam x

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful for this theme, I love the stamping of the leaves both on the outside and inside, the soft inking of the script background and the lovely border die with the black ribbon, done wonderfully!

Stacy Morgan said...

I still have my first set of butterfly stamps as well, this is beautiful. Sympathy cards are hard, but this is beautifully done.

Lynette said...

So beautiful, Leslie. Perfect for a sympathy card.

Pauline said...

Geez, how did I miss this post! Gorgeous card, love everything about this, inside and out. I always struggle with sympathy cards, but this one is beautiful. Love the leaves, butterfly and the softness of the background script. Great use of 'old' stamps!