Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Double D Challenge: When Life Hands You Lemons


Welcome back, friends!  It's time for another Double D Challenge.  Today our theme is "When Life Hands You Lemons".  The inspiration board is so pretty!



When Life hands me lemons I'm going to make a lemon card, and today it includes lemonade and these adorable Penny Black meeces.  I used my trusty Tombow markers and homemade blender solution to color this one.



I tend to want to use cute papers with cute images, but I told myself a long time ago that it's okay to mix cute and beautiful, so that's what I did here.  The Ciao Bella Sicilia paper has lemons galore, and the pattern on the background piece appears rather playful, especially when your brain sees it with the mice.  The mat directly under the image panel reminds me of kitchen tiles.  At any rate, I like how it came together.



The glossy dots I scattered around for fun were punched from the designer paper and then coated with diamond glaze -- one of my absolute favorite things to do.  It's a smile card, for sure!

The team has some wonderfully inspiring cards to share with you at Double D.  I love this theme and I hope you do, as well, and will enjoy playing along with us.

Take care and have a happy day!


Stamps:  Penny Black Homemade  Paper:  Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140 lb hot press watercolor, CTMH Star Spangled Blue, Ciao Bella Sicilia designer paper  Ink:  Ranger Archival Jet Black  Coloring:  Tombow markers and homemade blender  Dies:  Cottage Cutz Double Stitched Square set  Other:  1/4" & 1/8" hole punches, JudiKins Diamond Glaze

25 comments:

Lia said...

Ooh, I have got this stamp myself and would nearly have used it for todays DT card. I love it!! But I have chosen other ones which I like too... Sometimes it is hard to decide!
Lia xx

Donna Phelan said...

Love your fab design and pretty papers--I say mix and match away! That blue piece reminds me of gorgeous tiles! Love the sweet image too and your perfect coloring! (if you see a partial comment from me, delete it, not sure what happened--need more coffee lol)

Diane said...

I love your plump and fun 'meeces' and have this stamp too, but I love the way you have colored them and of course always a fabulously designed card! I just ordered a few mouser stamps, couldn't help myself!!

Yogi said...

Yup it’s a smile card. Cute. I’ve always loved that quote. It’s such a positive saying. Have a great day

Darlene said...

OMG what a fun card! Awesome choice of paper/colors and those glossy dots are so creative! I'm very impressed ... would have never thought to do that and it looks PERFECT! Beautiful coloring as always .. fun & fabulous inspiration my friend ... thanks!

Marcia Hill said...

And I am definitely smiling Leslie! Your card is absolutely ADORABLE and your mice just couldn't be any cuter! And colored beautifully too! And the dsp is so perfect for this card too! So much to love on this sweet, sweet card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, I LOVE YOUR MEECES TO PIECES! That lemon-y paper was just the ticket, and I really like your 'tiles'! LOve the layers and cut lemon - it's a really beautiful card!
=]

HilaryJane said...

I do like how those matts with different papers have turned out. That little blue frame helps the whole thing pop too xx

Pam Sparks said...

It’s a perfect mix Leslie! What a delightful, charming card even if it’s mice! 😂 They’re so cute!

Conniecrafter said...

Awww that is just the cutest, they sure are enjoying that :) I say your papers work beautifully with it and I thought the same thing when I saw the paper that looks like tile it gives you that kitchen feel!

Bonnie said...

These meeces are adorable and your glass of lemonade looks so realistic and refreshing! Wonderful coloring, my friend and a perfect pairing with this paper!

Lisa Elton said...

I think it's a marvelous mix of papers! I could see this little pair mixing up their lemonade in a kitchen with those fancy tiles! Cute card, Leslie!

Vicki said...

This is the sweetest and so whimsical. Those mice are adorable and certainly enjoying a sip of lemonade. I seriously love the blue/yellow combination that you used. The blocked DP reminds me of ceramic tiles. Just beautiful!

Loll said...

Amazing colouring of these sweet critters enjoying a lovely cold glass of lemonade on a hot day!! :) Beautiful patterened papers layered for the background in more summery colours. Adorable card Leslie! xx

Birgit said...

Mixing cute and beautiful is a winner! This card is both of those and ever so sweet. Your coloring is perfect!!

Barbara said...

I do love these cute mice, but I have to mention the wonderful background paper cause it really caught my eye. I think how you blended all of these papers together on this card is a it top-notch job.

Donna Ellis said...

Well, Miss Leslie, this is a darling creation, and depicts the spirit of the challenge beautifully! Your layers are so eye-catching and add to the sweetness and beauty of your encouraging card. Love it! hugs, de

Christine said...

Adorable little critters and a wonderful colour combo with the blues and yellows. They really make me smile 🤩

Pauline said...

Oh how sweet is this card! You nailed this challenge! Beautiful layers and all your added embelishments. This just makes me smile!

pam said...

Another of your amazing colouring cards Leslie, how cute are your mice!

Ida said...

So very cute and adorable. I love Lemonade (Had some Marionberry lemonade that was delicious this week). - Love every details of this delightful card.

Judy Woodland said...

Awe, those sweet little plump and chubby mice are just so dear. I love your design, this card just makes me smile all over my face.

Cat Craig said...

Oh leslie, this is so darling and captivating.

Lynette said...

Adorable! And I've said it time and time again - I love the coloring your do. Always fabulous.

Sue from Oregon said...

Well you did it! Your pairing for pretty and cutesy worked wonderfully! Love your details and the die too!