Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Double D Challenge: Reach for the Stars


It's Double D Challenge time again, friends, and Darlene is asking us to reach for the stars!
I'm sure the board she prepared will have you inspired to make something starry.  There is a very cool celestial stencil up for a random prize winner.  The team votes for creative favorites as well.


 

I was especially inspired by the gold and black starry panel in the inspiration board.  However, you know how it goes... inspiration doesn't mean an exact match, but I came close with white stars rather than gold.  I'm sure you can see how much fun I had making this card.  The reindeer crew is having a rest while Santa rumbles off into the night sky to make his rounds.  Ho ho ho!



I do love my Cottage Cutz dies, especially for Christmas.  Time consuming perhaps, but that's why it's good to start early.  I cut on watercolor paper and colored with Tombow markers.  The sentiment is an older but new-to-me Sue Wilson die that was probably part of a steampunk collection.  I imagined I'd be covering the gear with small Christmas icons or stamps, but it worked out perfectly as is for Santa and his jalopy.



Come see the team samples at Double D and then show us your starry creation.  In the meantime, enjoy your crafting and have a wonderful day!


Stamps:  None, except inside sentiment not shown  Paper:  Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140 lb hot press watercolor for die cuts, black, red, Neenah white  Coloring:  Tombow markers  Dies & Other:  Cottage Cutz Ho Ho Ho Car, Sue Wilson Here Comes Santa, Taylored Expressions Starry Night Cutting Pad, Stickles Stardust glitter glue

24 comments:

Diane said...

This card is amazing, the coloring of the die cuts is beautiful and I do know how picky they can be, what an awesome card!!

Birgit said...

This is amazing Leslie! The way you color with Tombow's is magical. Such a great take on the inspiration panel. Cottage Cutz dies are truly some of the best too. Glad you're getting a head start on Christmas card making this year. Ho Ho Ho!

Yogi said...

Oh please not winter theme. I haven't even got summer weather yet... Cute card thought
Have a great day

Marcia Hill said...

Awwwwww...this is just too CUTE Leslie! Santa in his jalopy totally makes me smile and I'm loving that die cut sentiment too...totally fits! And of course your star studded sky...perfection! Sweet, sweet card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful Christmas card Leslie,love the fun back view of Santa and all the stars.
Carol x

Darlene said...

OH MY GOODNESS! How adorable is this and you've captured that starry night perfectly! Awesome take on our mood board my friend! Love everything you create and find inspiration with each visit!! Hugs

Vicki said...

Sweet and fun Christmas card! Love the paper pieced design of Santa riding of into the starry night. Perfect take on the reach for the stars theme. I'm jealous that you've already started Christmas cards!

Margaret said...

So cute. I do love the starry night sky. I'm so glad you take the time to make such great cards. You're such an inspiration.

Ida said...

What a great starry sky. Santa looks to be having a grand time driving off into the night. Your card is so fun.

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Wow! Another Christmas card to add to your stash! Love Santa getting right to business heading into the night filled with those adorable stars. And he even has a Christmas tree along for the ride. Love the license plate!

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, this one just made me smile out loud! Those reindeer NEED a break - though I'm sure they don't use as much gas! LOL
Just a sensational starry sky for the challenge!
=]

Cat Craig said...

My goodness, this is such an adorable card Leslie. I am loving that night sky.

Bonnie said...

Your coloring makes Santa and his bag look textured, Leslie! I wish I had that control with Tombow markers! Love the starry sky and that Santa gave the reindeer a break! The gear is a fun plus for the theme of this card! Fantastic fun!

Glenda said...

I love your starry night girl! And all piled in the car and going off to deliver packages. And then there is the sentiment which I adore...can you tell I do love some great sentiments. Well done you! Hot as blazes here 90's and very dry. No mowing for me this week!

Christine Alexander said...

awww such a cute scene, Santa is having a whale of a time driving the pressies around :)

Barbara said...

I have a BIG smile on my face as I look at this card. Santa has a pretty nice jalopy there! That stark black sky with the white stars is perfect for this guy as he flies off into the night. I can hear him saying Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.

Lisa Elton said...

Holy smokes is this ever FUN, Leslie!! I took a stroll back through your blog to see what I missed while on vacation and everything is as amazing as it always is. Love the Sophie pictures too!

HilaryJane said...

This is fantastic. What a great little scene and a truly amazing starry sky. Well done xx

Judy Woodland said...

Oh my goodness, how stinkin' adorable, and what a perfect take on this challenge. Your coloring is just great, that Santa just makes me smile. So cute and fun!!!

Conniecrafter said...

Such a fun card, I have my star background die plate out right now trying to figure out how to use it in a card, I so love the scene you have come up with!

Donna Phelan said...

Oh this is just so much FUN....or is it Snow Much Fun?!? See what I did there lol I love your jolly Santa driving his fancy little convertible, in the snow, with that all-consuming starry sky! LOVE this!!! Magical!

Lynette said...

What a fun card, Leslie! You are so good at creating time-consuming, wonderful cards! I guess I'm just too lazy. LOL! Love all the die-cut and the way you put everything together. Good work on getting another Christmas card done, too.

Loll said...

Adorable scene you've created with your starry night theme, Leslie. Your colouring is awesome, as always. Seeing the back end of Santa in his jalopy makes me smile! :)

Pam Sparks said...

Leslie! This is such a delight! The starry sky is perfect! I have one of the CC cars glued up from a few years ago but I couldn't decide what to do with it then! ugh. lol I always need inspiration! This is so cute and the sentiment... so fun! I love it!