Thursday, April 1, 2021

CAS Mix Up: Paper Piecing

Hi, there!  It's time for another CAS Mix Up challenge, and this time our host, Linda, is asking to see our cards featuring the paper piecing technique.  I can do that and I'll bet you can, too!  It's an old favorite.

Remember to follow the easy rules as listed on each of the two graphics shown here:


 


Video Tutorials:
Paper Piecing by Beate Splitcoaststampers
Stamped Paper Piecing - Jennifer McGuire

Easter is fast approaching and my card has already been mailed.  I decided to paper piece with dies this time.  The bunny die cuts an outline, which I did in white.  I cut two more times from two different patterned papers so I could piece the polka dot body areas.  The fancy egg turned out with some pretty shading from the blue paper.  I cut it again just so I could trim out a pink bow.  I'm not sure if the egg is technically paper piecing, but the bunny is, for sure.



A couple more notes:  The pink outline under the bunny was done by drawing around the bunny die on pink card stock, then cutting with scissors.  Been wanting to try that.  It helps it stand out from the background.  Also, I hope you can see in the photo that I embossed the egg die on the card stock and then set the die cut egg into it.  Learned embossing with dies from another CAS Mix Up challenge which linked to this Embossed Impressions video.



I'm looking forward to seeing all the fun cards in our CAS Mix Up Paper Piecing gallery.  The team and our talented guest designer, Bonnie (Paper Crafter at Large), have some fabulous inspiration for you.  Wishing you a happy day!


Stamps:  Hero Arts Easter Greetings sentiment  Paper:  Neenah Classic Crest super smooth solar white, lime green scrap, retired SU designer paper  Ink:  SU Not Quite Navy and Pink Pirouette  Dies:  Spellbinders Small Die of the Month 2019 'Hop into Spring', Die-namites Delicate Egg, Impression Obsession Grass Border  Other:  Pink & Main Glossy Dot


24 comments:

HilaryJane said...

Thanks for all the tips. I never thought that inlaid die cutting is a form of paper piecing (duh!). Your tip to create a shadow with a die is another thing I have never thought of but such a simple thing. this card is great, love the embossed effect too xx

crafty-stamper said...

Gorgeous CAS card love the paper piecing on the cute bunny and great tip about creating the shadow.The embossed egg is perfect
carol x

Yogi said...

cute card. Hope you have a wonderful Easter.Have a great day

Cat Craig said...

WOW, this is awesome.

Mac Mable said...

What a fun way to do the paper piecing and what an adorable card x.

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love that bunny. This is a fun card design. Happy Easter to you!

Bonnie said...

I LOVE your pink polka dot bunny, Leslie! Great idea to cut a pink background and my hat goes off to your fussy cutting! Love the egg and the embossing that goes with it! Happy Easter, my friend!

conil said...

I'm going to have to try paper piecing with diecuts...it looks phenomenal. Layering it on the fussy cut shadow is so clever. It looks darling in front of that pretty egg. You even thought of adding the grass. Great card.

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

This card is just so cute!! I love your pieced bunny with the embossed egg! Makes me feel happy just looking at it! Have a blessed Easter!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that is once elegant Easter egg, love all the swirls and your shading of it. I have never done the inlay onto the background like that, love the look and it keeps down the amount of thickness to the card! That polka dot is just too cute on the bunny, and the pink background to him does help him to pop against the white background, great tip! Happy Easter!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Adorable! xoxo

nancy littrell said...

Wow...you used so many beautiful techniques and designer papers for your beautiful sweet shiny Easter Bunny and Egg card, Leslie. TFS the close up..so fun to see all the detail and shine up close, my friend. Happy Easter to you and Rich. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Diane said...

What a super cute card this is and so much detail yet you managed to keep it CAS, so hard to do. I think I have this bunny die from when I was part of the club, isn't it terrible I don't even know lol, that tells you I have too much stuff. A fabulous choice of paper for the paper piecing bunny!! Have a Happy Easter!!

Viv said...

Simply a lovely clever Easter card Leslie!
Happy Easter to you.

Loll said...

Adorable Easter card Leslie! Love that sweet, dotty bunny and the gorgeous embossed egg. xx

Pauline said...

So adorable Leslie! Gosh I haven't done paper piecing in a very long time, I use to do it when I was designing for Stamping Bella. Love the polka dot bunny and how you did the pink shadow layer behind, as well as your embossed egg. Today I started working out in my gardens, only around 40F but it was sunny so made it feel a bit warmer. A much warmer week ahead of us starting tomorrow. Happy Easter Leslie!

Christine Alexander said...

Leslie OMG your little bunnie is adorable, what a great card :)

Margaret said...

Gorgeous! I love that egg die. The cutting is so intricate. The dotted paper works very well for the bunny. Great card, Happy Easter to all the family.

Julia Aston said...

What a sweet Easter card with all of your lovely die cuts! Your bunny is so sweet with it's pink polka dotted paper piecing and your blue egg is beautiful!

Ros Crawford said...

So cute!! I love the paper piecing Leslie! Happy Easter!

My Paper Epiphany said...

So beautiful and sweet! I love the pretty papers, the fussy-cut border and gorgeous egg!

Linda said...

This is just sooo cute, the little bunny is adorable. Grat take on this month's challenge. Hope you're having a nice Easter weekend xx

Susan Joyce said...

Very cute design Linda, love all the techniques you achieved making the card and your gorgeous Easter egg and sweet bunny.

Cindy Beach said...

Such beautiful details with the delicate dies and paper piecing. Your card is so lovely! Your photo and props are awesome! Leslie, you deliver the whole package and I love it!