Friday, April 7, 2017

Easter with the Oldies

Happy Friday all!  I'd hoped to have a little more stamping done by now, but once the rain stopped I was out in the garden doing spring things.  It didn't help that I was absolutely at a loss as to what to make for my son's Easter card.  For Heaven's sake, he's 41 years old and you'd think an Easter card would hardly matter to him, but I know he'd think there was something wrong with me if I didn't go to the trouble.  I always send a package with a card and Easter candy.  It's a Mom thing, right?

I really need some new Easter stamps.  This card was made with my old, retired Best of Cluck set from Stampin' Up.  The Memory Box Curved Happy Easter die created a hillside on which I stamped the chicks.  They're watercolored all loose and easy on 140 lb hot press watercolor paper.



I added grass with an old D.O.T.S. stamp (now called CTMH).  What manner of hen would hatch a brood like that?  Well, there she is, calling to them from the hilltop.

The sky was painted onto my new Strathmore Mixed Media vellum surface paper.  It looks just like a cloudy sky, doesn't it?  So easy.  I painted water onto the panel, then dabbed ink and moved it around only minimally.

Inside there's a chick just hatching:



The hatching chick was colored with Copic markers.  Supplies are all listed below.

We've got rain and wind again now, so maybe I'll get more stamping done.  I hope you all have a stampingly wonderful weekend!


Stamps:  SU Best of Cluck (retired), D.O.T.S. Hillside Grass, Posh Impressions Wild Grass (inside)  Paper:  Arches 140 lb hot press watercolor, Strathmore 140 lb Mixed Media vellum surface paper, Cool Caribbean, other white inside  Ink:  Palette Noir, SU inks for watercoloring, Memento Tuxedo Black inside, Copics for inside coloring  Accessories:  Memory Box Curved Happy Easter die

21 comments:

Pauline said...

Oh how sweet is this! Fabulous design Leslie, love all the spring coloured chicks, and your little chick inside is adorable! I'm with you I don't have a lot of easter images, but it's not something I make a lot of so I kind of use what I have. Heck most forget what they received a year or two ago anyways, just change up the design. I love the look of the clouds. I bought some of the vellum surface paper ( thanks to you - insert happy face), I hope to maybe play with it this weekend. Although I think we are in for the most gorgeous spring weekend. 50's tomorrow, then 70's by monday, so hope to get out to the parks for a bit of early birding. Today we woke up to snow!!. I'm so glad you posted today, you always make my day brighter when I see your cards. Have a wonderful weekend.

Lynette said...

I'm sure your son will love this card, Leslie - and ANY card you would make for him! I have almost no Easter things, either. I don't even MAKE Easter cards. :( It does make it difficult for me to do my March or April calendar pages, though. I love the Easter die, and your sky is amazing.

Pam Sparks said...

Fabulous sky and adorable card Leslie! I love it! Our oldest daughter and her 9 yr old, Gena just bought chicks to raise for eggs. So cute... but these colored eggs remind me of the chicks my dad brought home for a few years at Easter when I was growing up. They always had to go to the country when they got too big for the box. : )

Yogi said...

cute... have a great day

Kathy Krug said...

This is so much fun that it makes me smile all over,Leslie. All the different colored chickes in the grass just speak Easter and spring. The placement of the hen is genius.

Darlene said...

OMG what a fun creation! That sky is 'heavenly' (pun intended) ... how amazingly beautiful and realistic! Love the entire scene and how cute with the little hatchling on the inside. He's going to love it and yes .. it's a Mom Thing and that's okay!!!!

pam said...

Fantastic Easter card Leslie, not something I make.. your colours are gorgeous on those chicks and hen, you have created a wonderful scene.
Hugs Pam x

Glenda said...

How fun! I love all the little chicks everywhere. The hatching chick inside is just adorable too!

Margaret said...

Wow! So fabulous. That's a great stamp set - all kinds of fun things you can do with it. That vellum is new to me. Love the look.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE it, so very creative, love how the sentiment is in the hillside, and your cute chick hatching on the inside too, is a great surprise :) I still haven't started mine, guess that should be on the list of to do things tomorrow :)

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Leslie...I LOVE your colorful trendy design using the old SU set "Best of Cluck"! I need to check..can't remember if I still have this set. I love how you designed your sweet outdoor scene with your die cut sentiment. TFS my friend and reminding us to use some of our "old" stamp sets. Happy Easter...Hugs..

Nanny's Pansy Patch said...

Your son is going to love this card!! The little chicks are so cute!! I have an Easter egg tree I put up every year made from an old painted branch and its filled with little hanging eggs and these cute little chicks. The girls always loved them and wanted to play with them, so I bought a bunch of them in all sizes so out they come every year. Now Jennifer is playing with them. They are my favorite thing about decorating for the holiday. I will have to look for that stamp! Hope you have a great weekend!

Hannelie said...

Spring!!! Love this fresh and fun card !

Ros Crawford said...

Oh this is so cute!!! What a feast for the eyes! It's fun fabulous and so happy and I can't stop looking at it!

Ida said...

So stinkin cute. I remember that set, it always made me smile as does your sweet card.

Linda Carson said...

Soooooo adorable!! I just love the springtime colors and all those little chicks! It makes me smile!!

Stacy Morgan said...

Age doesn't matter when it comes from mom, I agree. This is adorable and so colorful. Those tiny chicks make me smile, very fun Easter die cut too. Just darling, he will LOVE it.

Diane said...

How fun is this...oh my those 'peeps' are just the cutest, so colorful and so fun, and the mama hen, well she has her hands full doesn't she!! I love all your cards, but this one is a favorite, maybe because it is so silly and just has to make you smile!!

Sue from Oregon said...

I am sure your 'little boy' loved this! ♥ Sue Kment

Linda E said...

What a fun card! I especially love your peep-inspired chicks! I'm sure your son loved it! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter!

Traci M said...

This one gives me such a smile...your non-traditional chick card...I think it is such a hoot and I actually bought that stamp not long ago because of something you had made with it!! Now to find it again.