Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Halloween Play -- Art Journal Pages and a Card

Hello and welcome!

So... I've been thinking about art journaling for quite a while.  I watched a few videos... then more... and more.  I came to realize how it can be anything you want, any style, any techniques, any supplies you want to lay down on paper.  Make your own mixed media background, make a designer paper background, use stamps, dies, ephemera, lace, ribbon, doodads, whatever.  Make it simple or complex.  Just be you.

I have some new-to-me ghosties -- Simon Hurley's Boo Crew for Spellbinders --  loved them last year, picked up on sale this year.  They live in a scary looking world, but they're dapper and friendly guys.  A little goofy.  I love them!



Since I'm new to the art journaling concept and don't currently have a journal I thought I would test the waters by improvising with an accordion fold.  It's only four pages with a front and back cover.  Each page is 4" x 6", and the art is done on 3 3/4" x 5 3/4" hot press watercolor sheets.

As for the backgrounds on these two pages, I followed Vicki Papaioannou's advice to just start doing something -- anything -- and keep doing it until you realize you actually like it.  My words, not hers, but that's the general idea.

I knew I was going with a Halloween theme so I did my best with torn paper and ivory acrylic paint which I dried with a heat tool and was pleased with how the paint crackled in a few spots.  I stenciled random areas with a Fibers stencil in gray ink.  Rather creepy looking fibers, don't you think?  Stamped some Halloween-y images, then stenciled the stars in Lime Green stencil butter.  Finished the background by sponging black around the edges.  Glued the backgrounds in place and then added the dimensional elements.



That's it in a nutshell but, honestly, it really didn't take long and I have to say it was more fun than I've had with this craft in a long time.  It felt like freedom.

After the journal pages were done it was quick work to create a card using many of the same supplies.  The ghosts and Jack-o-lantern bucket and the die cut sentiment on the card are part of the Boo Crew set.  The Rustic Fence is by Cottage Cutz.



I'll be sharing in two challenges:

Two Old Bats Halloween Challenge, September.  Anything goes Halloween with mood board for inspiration.
NBUS Challenge #90.  My never before used schtuff is the Spellbinders Boo Crew and Cottage Cutz Rustic Fence.


 


Well, that was fun!  I hope to see you again real soon.  Thanks for your visit today!




12 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Your Boo Crew (LOVE the glasses!!) and the art journaled backgrounds are FA-BOO-LOUS Leslie! I am so impressed with what you've done...your creative juices were really flowing my friend and I can see why you enjoyed this process so much! Love, love, LOVE it!! Hugs. :0)

Birgit said...

Oh my lime green stars! Your initiation into art journaling is a big success!! First, let me say that Vicki P is amazing and you've done her proud with your two pages. The background is amazing and those ghosts do look like happy ghosts, and not creepy at all. Art journaling really is freeing and so therapeutic. To finalize, the card you made using the leftover ghost is adorable! Hooray for you Leslie, for venturing out and trying something new. You're very good at it!

Yogi said...

Cute cards. You’re definitely getting in to Halloween… my lights will be off till the next day… ROFL. Making little booklets to hold your art stuff is a fun way to create collections. Have a great

Lynette said...

Very cool! Sounds like you had a very fun time playing around with this. That's what it's all about!

Margaret said...

Those ghosts are just the cutest things ever. How could anyone be frightened of them. love your art journaling. You make it look and sound so easy to do.

I Card Everyone said...

Leslie, it is clear just looking at your panels that you indeed enjoy your creative time! I love your cute little ghosties and every speck of texture, movement and interest you've added!
The resulting card is just as fa-BOO-lous!
=]

Bonnie said...

WOW! I've thought about journaling, but it's scary to me. I guess I'm not ready to "let go"! I love your fun ghosts and there's so much to see in the background. I keep going back to look again! A cute Halloween card too!

Lisa Elton said...

Those fellas are too cute to spook and heaps of fun! There's so much to drink in here. Fantastic work, Leslie!

Cindy Beach said...

Leslie, I am beyond excited to see you playing at art journaling and these pages are the best! It looks to me like you've been doing this free-form artistry for a long time - and with such flair and talent! Not surprising at all. I can't wait to see more! I love knowing how much fun you had. These dapper guys make me smile too!

Barbara said...

Dapper and friendly they are, these Spooks that you have made into a journal. I think I could ever tackle a journal. But I have a good friend that knows how to do it. Her name is Judy Woodland and I have the cards to prove it. Your creative panels for these ghosts are fantastic and I'm glad you gave it a try.

Conniecrafter said...

You did a fabulous job with your art journal, love the background with all the goodies, paints, stencils and stamps. Those little ghost are just too cute, love their glasses. Your card turned out real cool too, like the little pumpkin with him and like the green shadow behind the sentiment!

LesleyG said...

Just LOVE these sooooo much and I don’t really “do” Halloween! Great journaling. Those ghosts are awesome 😃xxx